Insurance demand from dvla

Bikes or not. Whatever
MikeCrook

Insurance demand from dvla

Post by MikeCrook »

I have recieved a letter from dvla warning of a fine if I dont insure my 1934 bike , I have registered it with dvla some months ago when purchased . It is being restored so not on the road , so I can't understand why it needs insurance or sorn as per the correspondence !

Is this correct?

Thanks
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Insurance demand from dvla

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Mike:

It might depend on what the taxation class is. My '51 bike (which hasn't been used since 1977) has a V5 with the taxation class 'Not Taxed'. I've never been asked for insurance or sorn for it.
My '55 Ariel which has been in regular use for the last 12-odd years was whatever the default is for any 'normal' motorcycle ('Private Light Goods'??) until I got it changed to 'Historic' when that was introduced. That one has to be either taxed or sorned, and I think that's become a very 'binary' situation in the perception of the regulators (if it's not sorned it must be 'on the road' and therefore has to be insured).
(This is all 'of the top of the head' and might not be definitive - and it has got me wondering about the folks who could insure themselves to drive any vehicle, as in the old 'rider policy', who would have vehicles that could be legitimately driven without being cited on any insurance policy. Maybe that sort of policy has been outlawed! :roll: :? )

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Bob.Murphy

Post by Bob.Murphy »

As you've registered it you will need to SORN it - Big Brother expects it to be taxed or SORNed.

If SORNed it shouldn't need Insurance - one of my Landcruisers is on SORN and without insurance (kept on private property).

Vehicle owners are just cash cows (just like Landlords :evil: ).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
ian williams

Post by ian williams »

hi mike ;
its a bit of misinformation actually , you dont have to have a vehicle insured if its not on the road but it does need to be declared SORN whilst not insured and kept off road ..
the dvla send out these letters to anyone who has taken new ownership of a vehicle and doesnt immediately tax and insure it and at first it seems to be trying to frighten you into thinking you have to have ALL vehicles insured irespective of status of on road or off the road "or else" you will be "fined" , and to be honest this is incorrect and needs to change and needs putting into better wording so that those who have vehicles off road for long periods know what they should do ..

insurance companies like footman james or peter james etc are offering "laid up"policies for vehicles being restored if you want such an insurance , for a chevy camaro i have they offered me a laid up insurance at £75 per year , so if the vehicle is garaged but not on the road it can still be insured for everything other than driving on the road ..

you can still insure a vehicle fully if you dont drive it on the road though if you are happy to pay for such , but you also dont need to insure it if its not being used on the road .

some bikes and cars that people have had for donkeys years in their name , but kept off road dont get these types of letter until they make movement on taxing and insuring the vehice again , but if its a vehicle that has been on the road recently you will find you receive one of those letters as matter of course .

just SORN it or insure it and tax it , whichever you want to do .

i have a couple of old bikes i keep taxed and insured every year but i dont necessarily ride them very often , one is belt drive and i live with hills all around me , not a good combination even with belt syrup .

ian
MikeCrook

Post by MikeCrook »

Thanks all ,sort of clarifies the situation as I thought because its tax class is historic vehicle I had complied with the law when registering it in my name and taking the original number plate.
I have SORN the bike as I have yet to put the engine back and it needs new brake linings !

One wonders if one is expected to insure a collection of parts?
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi if your bike is not on a public road you don't need tax or insurance all you need is SORN it off the road so they cannot nick you reg to sell it, a lot of old bikes and cars etc have lost reg because they haven't been SORN off the road , i have got a traders insurance so my bikes and cars etc are always insured all i need to do is give them the reg :D :D