Square 4 Mark 2 Recommissioning

Bikes or not. Whatever
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Square 4 Mark 2 Recommissioning

Post by paul.jameson »

I sold my Mk II with what I think was a genuine 80,000 miles on the clock and still fitted with its original rods. But I would have fitted Club rods had they been available - they appeared after I sold the bike.
As David says, the gudgeon pin is offset on the Mk II pistons but it isn't on the set of NOS Heplex 4G/Mk I pistons I have here. So it may be that only the Mk II has this extra problem.

Either way, as you have to strip the engine to clean the sludge traps out, it would be folly not to replace the rods whilst you are at it.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
mike.loehr

Re: Square 4 Mark 2 Recommissioning

Post by mike.loehr »

One word of advice DONT.I have a 1559 MK ll that has been in my collection for a good while.5600 miles on the working speedo when I got it.I am a vintage Indian restorer and I joined the Ariel club when I was ready to put the bike back in service just to get familiar with the mechanicals etc.After much soul searching trying to decide whether to dismantle an untouched square I opted to err on the side of caution.Sludge traps were full of coagulated oil.Have the engine totally apart and can confirm it would have ended in disaster.I will say from my prospective that the Square four design is a work of art and a pleasure to work on.Hooked on Ariels in Indiana USA.