1942 RN WNG restoration-Updated 08/04/2020

Pictures of our bikes. W/NG restoration pictures and builds
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: 1942 RN WNG restoration-Updated 16/07 Petrol Tank

Post by alan.moore »

The inside was only slightly rusty, but having cleaned it out with Oxalic acid a couple of pin holes were found at the rear and there was a previously epoxy filled split on one of the bottom seams.
The area containing the pin holes was repaired by applying a layer of solder over the badly corroded area at the rear of the tank. The inside of the tank in this area was corrosion free so the pinholes had been formed from the outside in. The split was MIG welded.
SDC11994.JPG
SDC12001.JPG
SDC12077.JPG
SDC12079.JPG
SDC12084.JPG
Last edited by alan.moore on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

The tank was then cleaned out with Tank Kleen that includes a rust inhibiter which prevents the now really clean metal from flash rusting. It was then sealed using ‘Slosh’ tank sealer who also provided the Tank Kleen.
A layer of fine ‘finishing’ grade filler (UPOL TOP STOP RED) was applied all over the tank. This was then sanded back with 120 grit production paper to provide an even surface before spraying with a light ‘guide coat’ of paint. Further sanding using 360 grade wet and dry, used wet, followed until all the ‘guide coat’ had gone and the metal surface was just revealed on the ‘high areas’ of the tank.
First layer filler
First layer filler
First layer filler
First layer filler
Guide coat
Guide coat
Guide coat rubbing down
Guide coat rubbing down
A second light layer of filler was then applied and the process repeated until the filler became ‘transparent’ on the high areas. The result was that only the thinnest layer of filler, needed to cover the pock marked surface, was left. The only ‘thicker’ areas of filler were where dents had been filled and I had built these areas up in thin layers to combat shrinkage.
Second layer filler rubbed down
Second layer filler rubbed down
Last edited by alan.moore on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
alan.moore

Re: 1942 RN WNG restoration-Updated Updated 16/07 Petrol Tank

Post by alan.moore »

The tank was then given a coat of cellulose red primer to provide a visual ‘barrier’ for subsequent rubbing down i.e. when the red colour is revealed no more rubbing down in that area needs to take place or you go into the filler. The tank was then left in the warm for a week to ensure the filler had fully gone off and for shrinkage to take place. No shrinkage occurred.
Red primer coat
Red primer coat
Then three good coats of cellulose filler primer were applied. When fully dry a light guide coat was sprayed on and then the tank was rubbed down with 600 wet and dry until the entire guide coat was gone.
Three coats filler primer
Guide coat
Guide coat
Guide coat rubbing down
Guide coat rubbing down
Last edited by alan.moore on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Any remaining ‘nicks’ were the filled with fine filler, which was rubbed down before a final coat of primer, another guide coat and a final rubbing down with 800 wet and dry used wet.
Final rubbing down
Final rubbing down
Final rubbing down
Final rubbing down
The tank was then left for 2 weeks to make sure the primer had fully gone off as the top coat (Satin Rustoleum Combi-Color) was not a cellulose paint but a ‘urethane modified alkyd’, a white spirit thinned paint. A quick rub over with a fine scotchbrite pad and a clean with panel wipe and tack rag followed.

It was then given two good ‘double’ coats of top coat. This was mixed from two RAL colours, RAL7008 Khaki Grey (40 units) and RAL 8008 Olive Brown (15 units) plus 1.5 units of matt black.

These final photos show that in different light conditions the actual colour looks different.
SDC12908.JPG
SDC12909.JPG
SDC12911.JPG
Cheers
Alan
Last edited by alan.moore on Mon Aug 05, 2019 8:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

Bloody hell Alan, that is coming along very well indeed! and is looking excellent!
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Leejm wrote:Bloody hell Alan, that is coming along very well indeed! and is looking excellent!
Thanks. As usual with me it has turned into a labour of love...
Leejm

Post by Leejm »

You must of heard I have a new toy now too. But mines a little more work! And missing in action.
1948 NH, BSA D10 SPORTS. 1953 VHA, 1951 KH rigid project.
Paul Slootheer
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Paul Slootheer »

Very well done Alan! :D
alan.moore

Re: 1942 RN WNG restoration-Updated 05/08 Plating Parts

Post by alan.moore »

Thanks Paul, I hope fellow WNG owners are finding the posts interesting

I have been thinking about what to do with the 'plated' parts such as kickstart, gear lever, handlebar levers, pushrod tubes. The period photos of what appear to be 'newish' bikes show these had a 'matt' silver coloured finish i.e they were not painted (although they probably did get painted later on in service).
Here is an example
Silver coloured handlebar furniture
Silver coloured handlebar furniture
navydespatchriderscu1.jpg (55.78 KiB) Viewed 15268 times
I have read that the two possibilities were dull chrome and cadmium. I found remains of the original dull silver 'coating' on a few of the parts, especially the choke lever bracket which had survived almost totally intact and on the pivot end of the kickstart. I tested to see if it could be removed with acid (cadmium, like Zinc plating' is easily stripped with acid) and found it had no effect. So it appears that the original plating would have been 'dull chrome'.

There is no DIY 'dull chrome' plating kit available so I have Zinc plated the parts and then dulled the finish with a very fine and well worn scotchbrite pad which was enough to take the shine off. The Zinc plate will also dull/oxidise in a few days as it has not been passivated yet (a dip that protects the Zinc coating). Once it has dulled a bit more I will then passivate so they don't oxidise any further

Here are examples of what I started with, they had medium surface corrosion/pitting which was removed with a combination of a flap wheel on the angle grinder to remove the worst and then 250 grit emery cloth wrapped around a soft wheel on the bench grinder followed by a fine scotchbrite wheel on the bench grinder. There was no need to polish them up as I was after a dull finish.
WNG gear lever
WNG gear lever
Handlebar levers
Handlebar levers
Levers after pitting removed
Levers after pitting removed
After Zinc plating and 'dulling'
After Zinc plating and 'dulling'
In the last photo the choke lever bracket is the 'origional' dull chrome finish so I think the Zinc plating is a pretty good match

Cheers
Alan
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 1942 RN WNG restoration-Updated 05/08 Plating Parts

Post by nevhunter »

A zinc -nickel alloy is plated on aero parts these days to replace Cadmium which is really a no no for the environment. Might be another alternative. Nev