Speedo gearbox question

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: Speedo gearbox question

Post by nevhunter »

The speed reading and the ODOmeter reading are in the correct relationship. Is this a front wheel drive set up? There's less to be out with the front wheel driven unit. Nev
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

nevhunter wrote:The speed reading and the ODOmeter reading are in the correct relationship. Is this a front wheel drive set up? There's less to be out with the front wheel driven unit. Nev
Yes, it's my W/NG Nev. I'll need to be counting turns and teeth next time I have the front wheel off.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Do you know the correct gears? I've been working on a couple lately and can tell you details I would be surprised if anything but he correct ones will fit the threaded hub and mesh correctly . I will be giving mine more love than previously I neglected the open ones and wrecked both. I'll be greasing them about every 2,000 miles at the most from now on. Nev
simon.holyfield

I'd appreciate you summarising the gear teeth and the gearbox ratio as you see it Nev. I know that I have 14 teeth on the small gear (I have a picture of it) but anything else will need it to come apart.

The W/NG is my only running bike while I search for the misfire on my SQ4.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

simon.holyfield wrote:I'd appreciate you summarising the gear teeth and the gearbox ratio as you see it Nev. I know that I have 14 teeth on the small gear (I have a picture of it) but anything else will need it to come apart.

The W/NG is my only running bike while I search for the misfire on my SQ4.
Simon,
See my earlier post in page two of this topic. Looks like you may also have a gearbox with an 8 tooth/14 tooth gear set .
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I have just checked 3 different W/NG front wheels and the 14 /43 external gears and the internal ratio of 8: 12 as per Alan's post is confirmed. so the 12 % error may be expected, if the speedo itself is the same. Nev
simon.holyfield

Alan,

Did you ever get this resolved? I'm thinking we are both looking for 8:12 speedo drive gears?
Last edited by simon.holyfield on Sat Mar 30, 2019 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Yup all sorted (I hope) I bought one from Reins on the forum. I can confirm the one he sent me has a 8:12 ratio. Compared with what is being asked for these drives on Ebay his was a reasonable price. I believe he had two so maybe he has another to sell. Will PM you

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
EricBorg

Post by EricBorg »

Reviving an old topic to help me understand what I have (rather what I have missing).

So I’ve got myself a nice WD Smiths speedo for the WNG, had it serviced by Russell and now I’m itching to get it on the bike and see it working as it should.
My problem now lies with the speedo drive gearbox,
I’ve got the 43T on the drum and was missing the 14T drive sprocket which I now have too.
Now I notice I’m missing the shaft (???) that the 14T sprocket rides on. Don’t know what it’s called as it looks part of the gearbox on my parts list book.

Can anyone tell me what this missing part is called please so I know what to look for.
Better still, can anyone suggest where I might find one??

Thanks
Attachments
7C60EE75-DA71-4895-AAD5-1C20AA3FBC26.jpeg
9B4CDD2F-B655-42A6-AD61-EF0E94AC9F4E.jpeg
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

It has a skew gear on the end of the shaft. I've never seen these parts separately. There's a place in Melbourne who probably make them and may be capable /willing to do the whole drive in bronze. The original case is muckmetal. I'm pretty sure the add was in Classic bike or some Australian magazine. You can surf the net as well as I can . The AU dollar is low and getting lower so that's in your favour if you want anything from HERE. Let me know if you have any success and I may be able to "case the joint" for you. Nev