specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Brake arm confusion

Post by Adz.F »

Hi,

I have recently purchased WNG brake arms for my project, but I cannot seem to get the front brake arm orientated correctly! I bought a front and rear, but I cannot tell which is which! Neither of them fit my setup properly, from pictures I have seen they should be fitted facing towards the wheel, but in both cases, they will rub against the brake plate. Could anyone provide some closer pictures or assistance on the correct orientation please?

Many thanks

Adam
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Brake arm confusion

Post by Adz.F »

I have tried all ways, the linger has a larger hole, so I assumed for the rear brake...
Attachments
20221126_110455.jpg
20221126_110438.jpg
20221126_110422.jpg
20221126_110401.jpg
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

I struggled with that. I’m not convinced the repro ones are correct for girders - my original one is cranked. There’s some pictures here:

https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com/ ... e-rod.html
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Excellent Simon, thank you!

I can put the crank into either arm- question is should I use the shorter one with the smaller hole or the longer one with the larger hole. The smaller holed shorter one is the correct diameter for the front brake rod, but being a front brake should I opt for the better leverage of the long one? I don't think the larger hole will negatively effect the arm, and I can open up the other for the rear if required.

I have freshly lined bonded shoes fitted front and rear.

Many thanks

Adam
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I am pretty certain that the short arm is the front, which as you suggest seems odd given that there is less leverage available at the front. Riders at that time were very concerned about 'side slip'. The squares in the arms are also oriented differently which will also make a difference. The rear should have a 1/4 diameter plain hole but is a different design to the one you show, it should have a forked end, what you have is a lever for a 7" front brake. The front arms should have a 1/4" hole with 2 flats to match the brake rod, this is to stop the rod rotating when making adjustments, ntroduced 1927.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Adz.F
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Adz.F »

Thank you for the information Roger, I will take another look tomorrow and see if I can make sense of it

Thanks again,

Adam