WNG rear engine mounting plates

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

WNG rear engine mounting plates

Post by alan.moore »

As discussed in this post http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... 48&t=10250 I am slowly building up a database of the various changes during WNG production. I would ask again that if anyone has copies of WNG parts books to let me know which ones they have available to copy / send electronically so that I can increase the knowledgebase I am working from.

Also if anyone has any insight into various changes that knowledge would be useful.

I have a question re the engine mounting plates:
I see there was a change in part number for the rear engine mounting plates in 1943:

WNG '40 to '43:
RH 2305-35 (same as pre war civi)
LH 2306B-33 (same as pre war civi)

WNG '43 onwards:
RH 2305-43
LH 2306-43

Parts lists states that these superseded the previous plates but are interchangeable with them

Post war singles parts books revert to the prewar / WNG '40-'43 part numbers (until 1952/3)

So....does anyone (especially those who have a number of different year WNG's) have any ideas what the change was in 1943 that required a new part number. The magneto mount, engine mountings, gearbox mountings, mudguard mounting, battery tray mounting, footrest support mounting points must all be the same or they would not have been interchangeable.

I have read that some owners have found an additional hole in the RH plate for the clutch cable to pass through, although if this was the change it does not explain the LH plate changing as well.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: WNG rear engine mounting plates

Post by nevhunter »

On the later war one there are 2 intersecting holes for the footrest long stud, so you get a choice of which set of holes to use. Maybe it corresponds to the introduction of the steel primary drive covers which may have a slightly different footrest position. Nev
andyhughesflattankarielpre25
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by andyhughesflattankarielpre25 »

I have found that there are two types and I tend to agree with Nev as to it being around 43 maybe because of the tin cases or the all steel footrests,a lot of things changed as we run out of raw materials, I have a set of forks with no steering damper on and levers that were the same as all military bikes not the combo ones. I must say its great that you are doing this research as it seems to be a night mare as to the timing of different parts being used and also what was used on the bikes sent to different forces and parts of the world. you also have the problem of older machines that were damaged being repaired with the parts that were available and to hand.Good luck with your quest.Carry on the good work.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Yes, those two holes.
I found them on my '42 engine plates and thought someone had drilled extra holes in them....
So I welded one set of holes up :lol: :lol:
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Vincent, Andy & Nev,

Many thanks gents, that's just the sort of knowledge I am looking for.

The steel chaincases have a part number ending in -43 so it would appear that the theory that the engine plates with the '43 part number changed as a result of the steel cases having a slightly different footrest rod position is likely to be correct.

Re the two holes:
1. Are they side by side or one above the other.

2. Is there one location peg or two (i.e an alternative for the second footrest rod hole)

The steel primary cases do not appear in the May 1943 parts book (Ariel updated June '45) or in the 1942 parts books (Ariel updated Sept '44) but are in the Nov '44 book. (These updated parts books were produced by Ariel and do show some of the later 'updated' parts with annotations as to whether they were an 'alternative' fitment for earlier machines)

The '43 engine plates however are in both the 'updated' '42/'43 parts books.

It's all a bit of a minefield and I am aware that it is unlikely that it will result in specific dates for changes but certainly should be able to tie items down to specific years.

Thanks again
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
andyhughesflattankarielpre25

Post by andyhughesflattankarielpre25 »

engine plates,
Attachments
162.JPG
161.JPG
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

I think, not sure, that with the 'two hole' type the peg is on the footrest bit instead of on the engine plate. am I correct or is it just another flur of my imagination..
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I think you are correct. On those there is no slot just a hole in the part the footrest fits on. The locating pin is a tight fit in it and I would say meant to be permanent. Any I've had, the two holes in the engine plates just intersect each other which would make them harder to drill unless done in a mill drill or such. That's why I'm pretty sure they were original and also the late date of manufacture of the bike. Nev
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Gents,
Thanks for the input. I came across this earlier post which seems to confirm everything that has been said. http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... =51&t=4700

Those plates that Andy posted also have the extra hole for the clutch cable to pass through rather than it curving under the engine plate.
LATER ENGINE PLATES.JPG
LATER ENGINE PLATES.JPG (114.11 KiB) Viewed 2947 times
Interesting about the lack of a footrest 'anti-rotation' location peg, which on the earlier type was secured in the engine plate to locate in the notch in the footrest support tube. The WNG parts books I have only show the support with the notch (5375-29). Looks like Ariel changed the design (but not the part number/parts list) so that the peg was fitted in the support tube and that peg then fitted into whichever footrest hole was not being used.

Cheers
Alan
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I agree about the use of the other hole for the peg but those holes shown there are too far apart for that to work. Nev