Lodge plug

specifications, colours, contract nos, variations etc
FOR GENERAL ENGINE AND GEARBOX, USE THE FOUR STROKE TECHNICAL FORUM
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Lodge plug

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi you have a problem with NGK plugs you mite need a hotter plug you can be running to rich or burning oil if i have a problem that i ring NGK and get their advice on what ones to use and they have not let me down yet i have used all makes of plugs in my workshops in my lifetime and NGK comes out tops with me and my racing team :!:
pappleton
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by pappleton »

I switched to NGK's many years ago, with no regrets. I used to run a service station in the U.S. the amount of dud Champion plugs was quiet significant. I attended many rallies both here and abroad, clocking up mileages approaching Mr Carters. I found that the electrodes on Champion plugs just plain wore out, no such problem with NGK
BR,
Paul
Paul Appleton '53 VH plunger, '53 VHA rigid - in many boxes, '58 H.D. pan/shovel rigid
EricBorg

Post by EricBorg »

Evening all,

I’ve come across these two Lodge SINTOX C14 plugs, the mate who gave them to me said he took them out of a WW2 outboard motor. Still has some of its war time green paint.
Had a quick comparison next to the NGK B6HS that’s on my bike and they are the same length and size.
So I just had to try it and what do you know, it fired right away, seemed to work well with it but I turned it off straight away as I know it’s not correct, when I made a cross reference from the Lodge C14 to an NGK, the equivalent is NGK B5HS.

Would this plug be too hot/cold for the WNG??
Attachments
81C8A1C2-B2EC-4957-9A27-8CE55E7BBFB9.jpeg
D563D726-53B0-4DCF-B8A1-EAF1A868FB07.jpeg
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The bit you have to be concerned about is the length and thickness of the insulator in the combustion chamber. If it's long and thin it is a HOT plug only used in some (older) two strokes. An OHV Ariel needs middle to cold depending on how you ride. (Revs and load). A too hot plug can cause detonation, loss of power and engine damage.. Nev
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

them plugs look like aircraft with 3 electrodes with high voltage ignition :!:
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

them plugs look like aircraft with 3 electrodes with high voltage ignition to run them :!:
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Multiple electrode plus were common at the time. They are generally considered to be of no practical advantage, and difficult to adjust the gap(s) Nev
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Pete.Silson »

They are generally considered to be of no practical advantage...
They are however easier to clean since the central electrode/insulator unscrews from the body.

Pete
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

what i have found with multiple electrode plugs you can get a misfire and you get a weaker spark if you have not got a good mag or coils and Leeds and caps :!: