WNG

General talk about the W/NG
ariel.andersen
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

WNG

Post by ariel.andersen »

Hello.
Can some one tell me if this holder has bin fitt on Ariel WNG ?
In advance thank.
Regards
Jorgen
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
image.jpeg
admin
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: WNG

Post by admin »

this is the BSA one.

My Ariel came with one like yours but I have the push button switch present (ammeter blanked - push button where switch was).
I do not have the under seat switch though.

Happy to swap for something ?

The parts list (original copy I have) for my bike, still shows the original switch and not this late war one.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Some information I have indicates the Matchless WD's had the same treatment later in the war period. Nev
wade.edwards
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by wade.edwards »

John, you show a picture of an M20 with the under seat switch. Interestingly the pic shows a canvas seat cover. Do you know anything about this bike and the history of the seat cover? Almost no expert admits that some WD bikes were fitted with canvas covers.
admin

Post by admin »

wade.edwards wrote:John, you show a picture of an M20 with the under seat switch. Interestingly the pic shows a canvas seat cover. Do you know anything about this bike and the history of the seat cover? Almost no expert admits that some WD bikes were fitted with canvas covers.
Nope.
I linked to a couple of handy pictures off the WM20 site/forum just to show the switch arrangement

I have a canvas seat cover on my bike too.
Mind you, I don't really mind too much about originality (or cleaning)
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Canvas is cool with me. It's the extremephile rivet counters that rained on my parade when I thought of covering seat frames with canvas. Still might,
cheers
Last edited by wade.edwards on Sun May 08, 2016 3:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

Does anyone have the under seat bracket properly mounted to their W/NG? I am now interested in using this option for the 44 W/NG I am doing and would like to properly locate the ammeter braket. That is, if I had a bracket. So far I have two, four position WD switches, but only one CZ27 ammeter. I can use the proper ammeter on the 42 W/NG I am also doing.
One CZ27 ammeter went for GBP 155.00 today and I don't want to make another investment like that. It would be less expensive to go the no ammeter route.
Last edited by wade.edwards on Sun May 08, 2016 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

I will answer my own question as I've found the picture John has used. It is from the BSA M20 WD forum and is listed under Electrical in the Technical section.

In place of the light switch was fitted a large black bakelite "push" button, marked on top "P" (for "push"). On pushing this button the rider changed from main beam to low beam, and vice-versa). With the ammeter missing, the idea of this system to see if the dynamo was charging was to turn the switch to the "test" position and to rev-up the bike's engine. If, on doing this, the tail-light bulb was seen to glow brightly, then the system was seen to be charging.
wade.edwards

Post by wade.edwards »

I've found the picture John has used. It is from the BSA M20 WD forum and is listed under Electrical in the Technical section.

"In place of the light switch was fitted a large black bakelite "push" button, marked on top "P" (for "push"). On pushing this button the rider changed from main beam to low beam, and vice-versa). With the ammeter missing, the idea of this system to see if the dynamo was charging was to turn the switch to the "test" position and to rev-up the bike's engine. If, on doing this, the tail-light bulb was seen to glow brightly, then the system was seen to be charging".
admin

Post by admin »

Here is what I have
I do not have the underseat switch or box. I checked my pile of switches and I do not have one with "test" on it either (a few with the additional "c" and "t" )
2016-05-09 10.06.43.jpg
2016-05-09 09.41.21.jpg