W/ng values

General talk about the W/NG
Stephen rallison

W/ng values

Post by Stephen rallison »

Morning all. New member here so admin delete if not appropriate

I’ve had a search around the forum/internet but can’t find too much information.

Not a for sale post. The bike in question is a 1946 W/NG, it’s a complete bike. The bikes runs, but would benefit from a little tlc. Clutch is free. Been stored under dust sheets in a dry shed. The bike also has a watsonian Avon sports sidecar but not currently fitted. Would benefit from a little tlc but all there. The bike would make a lovely relatively straightforward restoration project to someone who knows these bikes. What would one expect such a bike to fetch. I’ve seen prices of fully restored bike but not much around of bikes similar to this one advertised. Thanks Steve.
61DC038E-91CA-47B7-BB45-ABCD3878FFF6.jpeg
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: W/ng values

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

probably a little more to it than shown, someone will be along shortly who knows much more than I about these machines, my 2pennyworth, I believe the majority of these machines would have been registered around '46 when they were demobbed and offered on the open market, seems to have most of the original parts, do you have the carb?, the timing cover appears alloy which on the later ones, I believe, were cast steel, the frame number will give you the year of manufacture and it would be great if the engine was also correct, couldn't give an accurate value, I paid a tad over £3.5 k for mine perhaps 5 yrs ago, these bikes are quite sort after and mine would be worth a tad more now, but it aint for sale so valur to me is academic.
kind regards
Stephen rallison

Yes the carb was having a little clean out when I took the photo.
DE01951F-8AC0-47AD-A3F3-CE0C87B141ED.jpeg
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

IMG_0161.JPG
I paid £3k for mine in 2016. This was one of the pictures used in the advertisement.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

If you send me the engine and frame numbers I can tell its date and if miltary the contract it was supplied under.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Stephen rallison

Roger Gwynn wrote:If you send me the engine and frame numbers I can tell its date and if miltary the contract it was supplied under.
Thankyou Roger. PM sent.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Hello Stephen, Welcome to the club !
your WNG looks good and complete, some of the parts that are normally missing -even on 'restored' ones- are present.
Only a few parts missing; the field stand + the double clip at the rear of the frame and the 2nd toolbox with the hinge half way up the lid.
Some construction has been done to the kickstart and a intriguing sort of pull-up switch at the nose of the seat, what is that for?
Handlebar looks like it's missing a few of the original manette's.
I would guess that a WNG like this you can ask between 3000,- and 3500,- GBP for.
It could have some small problems showing up before it can be used with confidence.
Maybe a dud magneto and for sure the electrics by the look of it...
But once you get this Ariel sorted it will run another 75 years. :D
Stephen rallison

Vincent.vanGinneke wrote:Hello Stephen, Welcome to the club !
your WNG looks good and complete, some of the parts that are normally missing -even on 'restored' ones- are present.
Only a few parts missing; the field stand + the double clip at the rear of the frame and the 2nd toolbox with the hinge half way up the lid.
Some construction has been done to the kickstart and a intriguing sort of pull-up switch at the nose of the seat, what is that for?
Handlebar looks like it's missing a few of the original manette's.
I would guess that a WNG like this you can ask between 3000,- and 3500,- GBP for.
It could have some small problems showing up before it can be used with confidence.
Maybe a dud magneto and for sure the electrics by the look of it...
But once you get this Ariel sorted it will run another 75 years. :D
Thankyou for the warm welcome. We have the field stand in the shed for the bike. But was removed when the sidecar was fitted. The little pull up at the front of the seat appears to have a small pipe angled towards the carb. I believe to hook up a small bottle and drip feed into the carb to help it run cooler. Or that’s what it looks like what it may have been used for.

The bike starts and runs. The clutch is free too. We had a good spark from the magneto. I think it would benefit from the carb being cleaned properly with the jets being taken out and cleaned.
It’s a shame to have it just sitting in the shed. Would be a nice project for an enthusiast. Maybe restore it or just go through it and ride it as an oily rag.
I’m currently restoring a 1961 velocette which should hopefully be on the road this summer.
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Ah, perhaps some sort of water-methanol injector to get a better combustion ?
Interesting to see that on a humble 350 Ariel... :)

Unless you need the money...do keep the Ariel as it might be more fun then that Velocette :shock:
petecranwell

Post by petecranwell »

Hi Stephen. I've sent you a personal message. Thanks, Pete