W/ng rear stay

General talk about the W/NG
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: W/ng rear stay

Post by alan.moore »

Here are pics from my WNG. First is the rear bracket, second the centre bracket.
Rearmost bracket
Rearmost bracket
Centre bracket
Centre bracket
The 'rivets' are small 6mm stainless coach bolts from Screwfix, with the heads reduced in size and 'flattened' a bit by putting them in the pillar drill and using an angle grinder with a fine grade flap disc to do the work (you could use a file). You can either file the mudguard/bracket 'bolt' holes square to take the square of the coachbolt or file the square circular and then saw a slot across the end of the threaded part so you can hold them with a screwdriver if you want to keep the holes in your mudguard and bracket circular
SDC14390.JPG
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

thank you for the measurements it appears the original ones in this guard have been welded up and filled so I will see if the stay fits at the disrtance you have given me and redrill the holes perhaps, I was curious because I wasn't sure the stay angle was correct
kind regards .
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

The centre stay should be vertical from its mounting point up to the guard. The position of the angled rear stay, and therefore the location of its mudguard bracket, is therefore determined by the the location of the centre vertical bracket. The position of mine is verified in that the W/NG carrier mounting point to the centre stay aligns correctly (see previous photo)
SDC12764.JPG
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

alan.moore wrote:The centre stay should be vertical from its mounting point up to the guard. The position of the angled rear stay, and therefore the location of its mudguard bracket, is therefore determined by the the location of the centre vertical bracket. The position of mine is verified in that the W/NG carrier mounting point to the centre stay aligns correctly (see previous photo)
SDC12764.JPG
Alan, would you mind showing a close up of the tapped hole in the vertical stay, that receives the rack bolt? I believe mine has been 'adjusted' as I have a period Italian rack fitted.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

simon.holyfield wrote:
alan.moore wrote:The centre stay should be vertical from its mounting point up to the guard. The position of the angled rear stay, and therefore the location of its mudguard bracket, is therefore determined by the the location of the centre vertical bracket. The position of mine is verified in that the W/NG carrier mounting point to the centre stay aligns correctly (see previous photo)
WNG
WNG
Alan, would you mind showing a close up of the tapped hole in the vertical stay, that receives the rack bolt? I believe mine has been 'adjusted' as I have a period Italian rack fitted.
Simon:
Here you are. Its a square 'nut' but with the outside shaped to fit in the circular profile of the stay. First one is the WNG, second the '39 VH
WNG
WNG
'39 VH
'39 VH
Cheers
Alan
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Excellent thanks. Now I can see it will be much easier to make a new nut and weld it in than my original plan, which was to plug the stripped hole with weld and re-tap.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com