W/ng rear stay

General talk about the W/NG
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: W/ng rear stay

Post by RTichard Woolnough »

I will TRY and post a pic, or probably SHMBO will, I had a long discussion with Dragons den as I say and that which has been supplied appeared to be the correct one, I don't have any real problem in 'sorting' it if necessary would just like to get it close to original, [although he bike is actually in civilian colours]
Kind regards
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

I can now see the optical illusion. The original bracket is quite thin . The one at the rear, near the hinge is as you have it and rivetted to the guard . You can undo the hinge with two 1/4 bolts in most cases which is helpful. Getting hard to get these parts in good nick. IF a bike has the larger oil tank (for the VG, VH,) fit the tank and check the clearance to the guard, BEFORE anything is painted. Nev
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

so Nev although the stay is riveted to the guard, in the pic in primer, there appears to be a bolt holding the guard also, 'tis this bolt hole that's not present on my new stand
kind regards
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by alan.moore »

RTichard Woolnough wrote:so Nev although the stay is riveted to the guard, in the pic in primer, there appears to be a bolt holding the guard also, 'tis this bolt hole that's not present on my new stand
kind regards
I think you may have the wrong lifting handle.
Looking at Drags lists: this one (see below) has the combined lifting handle AND welded on mudguard bracket, part no 5591-34. This is NOT the correct one for a WNG / the rigid mudguards with the hinged rear section. Is this the one you have ??
5591-34.jpg
The one for the WNG and other singles with the hinged lifting rear section 1935-49 is a shown below. This is the one shown on Simons WNG and my WNG shown in primer. (This one also has the small bracket on the left side 'centre' stay for the chainguard to bolt to).
5590-35.jpg
Does this help?

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

yes I have the top one will contact Drags in the morning, had great difficulty actually in I/D ing the thing to begin with.
have you a part number for the correct one?
kind regards
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Its 5590-35

Here is the link

https://draganfly.co.uk/shop/70127/cent ... e/#5590-35

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

got it and have sorted it with Drags, just parcelled up that supplied and will post off tomorrow morning, thank you all for your assistance.
kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

sent the incorrect stay Tuesday ,2nd class post, tight ass but still was over £5, received the correct one yesterday Saturday, wow that is pretty good service methinks so well done to Drags.
kind regards
RTichard Woolnough
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

me again, sorry, could someone measure how far forward, of the hinge perhaps, is the stay bolted? in addition I have two forward brackets attached to the guard 13" from the front bottom of it, I cannot see any attachment points on the frame, any idea?
thanks and kind regards

Profuse apologies, having examined the pics supplied on this posting I have located the frame attachment brackets, doh! and found 'em on my frame aperitif is perhaps to blame, however my first query stands please.
more, chastened, regards
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

It should have a couple of small tabs welded in the hollow of the rear RH stay to keep the tail light wire in. Nev