Frame, Engine and Contract Numbers

General talk about the W/NG
jim.haydock

Re: Frame, Engine and Contract Numbers

Post by jim.haydock »

Alan,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions. I'm afraid that I can't supply any useful photos for the purpose of identification as the bike came to me in large chunks as Steve, who I bought it off, had limited storage space so partially dismantled the bike to fit it into the available space. When I started the restoration I dismantled the bike completely to work my way through the various components that needed work and at present I have a rolling chassis but devoid of engine, gearbox and tinware.

Your comment about updating did strike a chord though. One of the first jobs was on the girder forks, which needed replacement spindles and re-bushing, together with replacement headstock bearings. As I stripped and cleaned the fork blades it was clear that there had been a significant repair made to the right hand rear fork tube. The repair looked professional and well executed and I'd no hesitation in re-fitting the forks on the bike.

The repair indicates that the bike was damaged at some point in it's history and as the fork retained its army green and overpainted black It suggests that it was damaged in army service and repaired accordingly, which could also explain why it had later contract parts fitted. I've attached a couple of photos of the repair which might be of interest.

Jim Haydock
Attachments
DSC_0269.JPG
DSC_0267.JPG
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Also to be found in the club archive, but just nice to reproduce here :

Polychromatic Bluebird Blue !
NaylorAndRootArielAdvert.jpg
Vincent.vanGinneke

Maybe it is known but on the website : The WD Motorcycle forum , http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 39&frmid=0
There is frequently discussions going on about WNG's and their numbering .
Atm : http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 8&cmd=show
Vincent.vanGinneke

In another topic on this WD Motorcycle forum this was stated :

(in a reaction what the census number on the petroltank would have been on a WNG with framenumber Xg14306)

Re: Ariel WNG contract and census number needed?
I make it the 153rd bike from 350 under contract C8574 in 1940, with census number C4381540.
Draganfly say that the W/NG census numbers were awarded against their engine numbers. I'm absolutely convinced that they're wrong about that....I have some evidence. Ron
email (option): ronpier@talk21.com

http://pub37.bravenet.com/forum/static/ ... 6&cmd=show
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The ones I've applied it to by the usual means leaves you with a small range of possibilities. Nev
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I have written to Ron refutting his claim and falsehoods regarding that I have said that tank numbers were allocated in engine number order. I think he has misread "Tank numbers are listed beside each entry " for 4 or 5 Navy contracts because presumably Ariel were asked to add the numbers.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.