My VB Restoration Blog

paul.wirdnam
Holder of a Silver Anorak

My VB Restoration Blog

Post by paul.wirdnam »

I can hardly believe that it's been 5 years since I finished restoring my SF31...where does the time go??? But in those 5 years, we've moved to Dorset and left the kids in Brighton (result!), so time for another Ariel project ;)

Not owned a side valve for many years; have had several WD BSA M20s and also a '30 Model B Black Ariel. So when I saw a '38 VB project being advertised at the VMCC Shepton Mallet autojumbe recently, I got out my wallet and now the journey begins:

Photo below of what I bought. Lots missing (forks, tank, all tin ware), tele front wheel and seized engine....so shall we call it 60% complete? Maybe 65%? Frame number and engine both 1938 and on the DVLA database although I'm still waiting for the V5:

Paul
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: My VB Restoration Blog

Post by simon.holyfield »

We're looking forward to seeing it come together Paul!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

I'm still deciding how much I want to spend on this project: do I do it "right" regardless of cost, or shall I cut a few corners and save some money? For instance, I have in my garage a perfectly good mid-30s hinged Ariel toolbox with the thumbscrew in the corner...but for '38, it should be the removable toolbox lid with the thumbscrew in the centre. Purist would notice...and would it bother me every time I look at the toolbox? Probably! :?

I used to buy all my new mudguards from Pete Lovett at Renovation Spares but since Pete retired and sold the company, it's not been quite the same. So I thought I'd buy a set of Indian-made ones on eBay. Advertised as girder fork mudguards for the VB, they looked ok. You hear all sorts of stories about the Indian-made tanks, girder forks etc but trying to find someone who has first hand knowledge of their products seems impossible. So I took a gamble and they arrived yesterday --- took about 3 weeks from India to Dorset, and no import duty, and both, including postage for £240.

Having received them, I would rate them 7 out of 10...only really let down by the terrible hinge. But that is something I can attend to, so overall quite pleased with these. Not yet had time to check them with the forks or frame, so we will see....

Paul
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

I think I have some idea of how fussy you are Paul. The fit of that rear section is going to drive you wild. I guess you have samples of how the hinge should be set up.. Nev
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

nevhunter wrote:I think I have some idea of how fussy you are Paul. The fit of that rear section is going to drive you wild. I guess you have samples of how the hinge should be set up.. Nev
You're right Nev...I can't leave it like that! :x I will make it as close to the original hinged mudguard on my '35 Cammy...and then use this Indian hinge on my garden gate.
Paul
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

?I don't want to add to your concerns but on original girder fork valanced front mudguards there are no recesses for the fork tubes...........
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Paul, I have a set of similar mudguards on a 39 VB, they are usable but not quite right. The flare on the front guard isn't wide enough and I had to cut 2 inches off the bottom on the front as it was too long. Similarly t he rear takes some setting up to look acceptable.
I'll see about posting fitted pictures next week after Stafford.
But the will be better than no mudguards

Dave
AOMCC Treasurer
paul.wirdnam

Post by paul.wirdnam »

dave.owen wrote: But they will be better than no mudguards
:D
paul.jameson wrote:?I don't want to add to your concerns but on original girder fork valanced front mudguards there are no recesses for the fork tubes...........
Thanks...so some work need to smooth out those recesses.
Paul
bruce.carrad

Post by bruce.carrad »

You are very fortunate to have the correct primary chaincase Paul, they are on the unobtainable list down here, and over there too I believe, but I was fortunate to pick one up by pure chance!
Regarding Indian petrol tanks I got an Indian made tank for my 1937 NH and am quite satisfied. It came ready chromed and was far cheaper than repairing an original tank and then getting it chromed according to my friendly chrome plater. I also bought 2 guards from India and have no complaints. My hinge is different to yours. I also bought an Indian made seat which has 3 mounting holes on each side bracket and the outer hole is a perfect fit to line up with the frame lug.
Good luck with the rebuild.
dave.owen

Post by dave.owen »

Paul, here are pictures of original 39 mudguards on my 39VG, and repro Indian on my 39VB,
also pictures of post-war toolbox made into centre bolt fixing

Dave
IMG_1039.JPG
IMG_1037.JPG
IMG_1036.JPG
IMG_1034.JPG
AOMCC Treasurer