Frank's 1940 VA

fpassmore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: 1940 VA Piston

Post by fpassmore »

I have found a Hepolite piston but unfortunately there is only one of the 3 rings with it. Draganfly recommend I find a similar sized set for another model and use those. With 1/16 thickness and 0.114 depth, 40 thou over, there are a couple of options in the VF/VG/VH category so what is the thought on this gentlemen?
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
SEDoan
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SEDoan »

Hi Frank, I have a set of new 0.040" rings that came with my recent VH project (81.8mm bore). The rings mic out at 0.112", 0.107" (why?) and oil ring 0.110". I'd like to trade for a set of 0.040" rings that are 0.131" depth.

If you can use 0.131" depth rings, this guy has them, though the price seems silly:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/234104266852
1937 Guzzi GTV, 1939 VH bitsa, 1947 VH, 1981 Guzzi Monza, 1983 Guzzi Lemans
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Hi Sean, I don’t have any spare rings hanging around but I will keep these in mind. Waiting to see what Drags comes back with as they might have a set with 3 compression rings which is what is required.
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Communicated with Allan at club spares but no suitable rings then contacted Cox & Turner with the specs on what I needed, phone call made and they are in the mail. Good result I would say.
Now to figure out the hubs and order some spokes. WM2-19 with 40 hole front and back?
Frank
ariel.andersen

Post by ariel.andersen »

Hello.
If you haven’t got a piston I think That I have one.
Let me know if I can help.
Attachments
15AC0D37-C6F1-4FB8-8CC3-CECF461892EB.png
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

So now the work to get this bike ready for spring has started the first item will be front and rear wheels. I have sorted through some of my hubs and believe I am looking for the type 1 and 5 wheel components for front and back. I have the rear figured out but I will have to find the components for the front type 1 and confirm what the hubs were finished in then source them
Frank
Decent pictures of complete wheels would be nice as well
fpassmore

Re: 1940 VA Bits for rebuild

Post by fpassmore »

As this has moved on from my piston search and now I really need to get the wheels built up I have changed the topic.
Where am I going to find a suitable supplier for rims and should these be painted and lined to reflect wartime production?
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The usual way to answer the question of finish is that it is to catalogue spec unless it says otherwise in the despatch book but of course the clerk may have forgotten or not bothered to write down that this bike was in pink. The entry for your VA mentions a speedo and a prop stand but not colour. The 1940 brochure, I don't have a full catalogue and it is quite likely that one was not produced, offers crome plated, painted and lined rims as an option, where not fitted as standard. Here you have to read between the lines as the finish of the rims is not mentioned for the VA, VB and deluxe models but the Red Hunters and 4G are listed as having chrome rims, therfore we have to assume that they were not chromed. Finish is listed as black.
I could suggest a supplier for the rims but I am biased.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Hello Roger,
My copy of the Ariel dispatch note states “standard trim” black finish so it is black frame and trim and I am going to assume black rims with gold line as noted in the spares catalogue. Chrome is mentioned but with an extra cost shown. Dragonfly have plain steel at a reasonable cost and I will have to order quite a few bits to build the front hub and brakes along with some bits needed for completing the bare hub I have. I must say that shipping from them to Canada is the most reasonable rate, as eBay and their global shipping program are at least 3-4 times the cost, before duties and handling, corporate thieving I say.
As always, thanks for the advice.
Frank
admin

Re: Frank's 1940 VA

Post by admin »

Frank - moved your VA topic to 'members bikes' (and changed the name) as hopefully it'll encourage you to put in more notes a piccies on the build!
(And also folks would be able to see any requests for parts more easily if they go in as individual posts under 'Parts...' section :mrgreen: )
Hope that's OK

SG