1954‘ish VH

pete.collings
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: 1954(ish) VH, re-registered ’57

Post by pete.collings »

I had modified my Ariel to use rearset footrests, shortened brake lever and reversed gear lever, and utilising a pair of BSA pillion folding footrests that were adapted to fit into the sidecar mountings. I used a folding kickstart lever, but needed to heat and bend it with a greater crank level to clear the (folded up) offside footrest. This also cleared the centre stand. It was further out than yours is in the attached picture.
Once I got used to it (I had to position the lever further forward to clear my leg when on the footrest), the bike could be kickstarted easily off the centre stand (a Huntmaster needing a hefty swing to fire up!)
Vincent.vanGinneke
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Simon, Try to find Teflon lined outer cable, those are the best IMHO.
Teflon should not be oiled.
Your VH looks very good, also a nice /5 in the background!
I own a 75/5 in the same color :D
SimonFletcher
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SimonFletcher »

Thanks Vincent, yes, the VH is coming on okay.
I appreciate the advice on cables and I do have half an eye on giving it a try.
I spotted your /5 in another thread – big brother to mine, which is a humble R60! Have an RT as well, but the /5 has a more 'classic' feel.
Red is the best colour, for sure! Mine needs a new rear main seal and pushrod tube seals – must get around to doing that…

IMG_1974.jpeg

Hope I don't get into trouble for posting the above :cry:
’54 VH,
‘72 BMW R60/5, ‘83 BMW R80RT
Vincent.vanGinneke

Post by Vincent.vanGinneke »

Oh yes, a very handsome bike !
I see you fitted Bing CV's did it improve ?
In 'the old days' you where considered a old farth if you rode one of these :lol:
This is my /5, bought it in 1984.
worn out 3 seats and 2 exhaust systems (now stainless) engine now on first oversize pistons.
8 dec 2021.jpg
SimonFletcher
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SimonFletcher »

I am fully reconciled with the fact that at 63 (how did that happen?), I am firmly in the 'old fart' category. I even now have an RT, which back in the day I completely thought of as an old man's bike…
I'm very impressed that you have had the /5 since '84 and obviously have a lot of miles on it. I have only had mine for seven years and bought it when I was able to return to motorcycling when my son grew up and left home. I had fond memories of the R100S I had back in the 80's/90's but also of the British bikes I had. The /5 was a 'half-way house' - somewhere in between.
The CV carbs absolutely transformed the bike. The old type 53 slide carbs were knackered even at 27k and CVs seemed sensible, bearing in mind that the manufacturer probably only fitted the older type to the smaller engines for reasons of economy. Throttle pick-up is much improved and overall performance. Fuel economy too!
Last edited by SimonFletcher on Mon Jan 17, 2022 11:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
’54 VH,
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

Well. Seeing as this thread has turned into a 'love in' for airheads :) :) :)

No 12.jpg

This is mine, 1984 R80ST (Yes, I know its the wrong colour, should be either red or gray).

Only made c5000 of this model, so not too many about, but happy to be proved wrong on that point.
SimonFletcher
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SimonFletcher »

Hey, what happened to my VH thread?!
I will post some more suitable material soon to get it back on track…
Nice ST, by the way, Julian (or is it a GS wannabe?)
’54 VH,
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

GS Wannabe. :)

GS prices mad. The ST is essentially the same machine.
Really need to re paint it back into the correct colour.

Anyway, back to VH's
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Bob.Murphy »

OK, I'll join the 'BMW Love-In' party too:

When my daughters finished University in 2004 I decided to go back onto bikes and bought a 1988 BMW R80 RT - a lovely bike, but a bit 'buzzy' - I was constantly looking for another gear.
DSCN1324.JPG
A year later I went to London, to Park Lane BMW, and rode home on a 2003 K1200GT. The ultimate tourer and a flying machine with 130 BHP (cruise control, heated seats & grips, electrically-adjustable screen, Sat Nav . . And a stupid small tank - what use is 20 litres on a tool like this?).
DSC_0036.JPG
In November 2005 I bought a 1988 BMW 100 GS 'Bumble Bee', it was a revelation - upright riding position, wide bars, good steering lock, knobbly tyres and a gutsy motor, I never looked back.
DSCN0482.JPG
Then in 2007 I got serious - I retired and planned bike trips to Scandinavia, Morocco, all around Britain and so on - and bought a bigger 'GS'. The 2004 R1150 GS Adventure is a beast, enormous, difficult to move about but wonderful to ride. My longest ride in a day on it is 1,034 miles - and I didn't feel tired. It has a 31 litre tank that's good for well over 400 miles on 'A' roads (less on motorways). Its the most 'planted' bike I have ever ridden and has taken me up tracks in Morocco, Bosnia and the Scottish Borders. I wouldn't be without it.
DSCN0483.JPG
In 2008 I sold the R80RT and the K1200GT as they weren't getting used. Today I have the two 'GS' - and an Ariel (and other Classics) !

I'll be 75 this year - but still going strong and riding (COVID permitting).

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
SimonFletcher
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by SimonFletcher »

Very nice bikes, Bob. Full of admiration for your trips, I'd like to get abroad again.
Have cycled in Morocco and indeed a lot of Southern Europe as far as Turkey, with Karen, my wife; but strangely on motorcycles, only as far as France!

Perhaps post a pic of your VH? Then I can get this thread back on topic!
’54 VH,