Just bought a project - 553 UXE

Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Just bought a project - 553 UXE

Post by Martin K »

Mick, Roger, Simon and Julian

Many thanks for such speedy and helpful answers (and a welcome!). The engine advice is really sound - all suggestions will be done.

The tank is rusty underneath and inside, so some remedy is needed which might make the paintwork a 'must' - does anyone know how those chromed side flukes come off the tank?

The frame is a patchy, and a few rust spots on mudguards...so it may be more paint needed than less at this stage.

Rewiring sounds like a plan - it all looks a bit murky under the seat, and I'm sure the regulator is the original (its def not been restored!), and the kill switch wire is hanging in mid-air, solder long-since having given up.

Roger, the Engine number is MLF 2149, the Frame number is PR2165. It was first registered as JPR182, and subsequently re-reg'd as 553 UXE (no idea when). It last changed hands in December 2004 to a gent who (I'm told) liked to collect Ariels, and has now got to the point where he needs to thin out the collection - hence me.... if I've helped uncover a previously unknown survivor for the database, then I'm already feeling even better about the job!