Frank's 1940 VA

fpassmore
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Frank's 1940 VA

Post by fpassmore »

Right, thanks and it does make sense as I plan on this one being around for a while. I will get on with a few more pictures once I have the current ‘48 BSA A7 off the bench as it has been fighting me all the way and only the head to do now.
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

There would not normally be any lining on a plain rim but there was on the tanks when they were all paint. Yours should have paint and chrome on the tank. Where did you find the note about 'standard trim' as this is not written in the despatch book? It does say 'std' under the 'tyres fitted' column. DO you have some paperwork from the dealer who was Deeley as in Deeley the dealer!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Hello Roger, quite right, I reread the daring certificate I got with the bike dated 1994 from RSR Hawkins and it is std under Tyres so it was a case of memory error. The tank is Black with gold trim and a chrome instument plate as in the picture on page 1. Have not put my hands on the box of gearbox bits but will get the number to you when I have opened that up. The parts book shows Black, with gold, with ch. and red as the options for rims so black at least it would appear. Looking through all of my Ariel bits again today and I don't think the hubs I picked up are right for this bike so I will have to start a search and order up a lot of bits.
Frank
'51 SQ4, '56 NH, '56 VH, '37 VH500 Red Hunter, '56 SQ4 (basket case), '49 Sq4 (basket case), '48 A7 BSA Twin, 12 other BSA's, 9 Norton's, 2 Triumph's, 3 Ducati's and 3 Japanese. Just crazed is all my problem is.
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Had to take some time away for health reasons but back at it now. I dug through the parts bins and I have found the transmission covers but due to a repair the ser no is not evident. There is a 991 stamped that can be seen easily but the rest has been removed after welding it appears
BD7CB91B-EBD9-4792-99D6-B52567FE6AFB.jpeg
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Made an acquisition Tuesday and picked up some bits from a fellow who said he had this in his barn for 37 years, certainly looked it. Thought I would save this from rusting away completely
Bare frame AC677, 1950 VG/VH/VB (?), appears to be in rusted but fair condition with no twisting or bends
Rolling frame SD2159, 1952 VH/VB, with Engine BJ502, 1948 VG/VH, barrel and head off, along with a few boxes of bits and an un-chromed gas tank, plus instrument panel, that I will have to get some pictures of to identify properly. Headlight and oil tank are green but not sure it is the correct shade.
Initial plan is take what I need for two other projects and see where it goes from there.
Frank
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

Roger Gwynn wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:15 pm There would not normally be any lining on a plain rim but there was on the tanks when they were all paint. Yours should have paint and chrome on the tank. Where did you find the note about 'standard trim' as this is not written in the despatch book? It does say 'std' under the 'tyres fitted' column. DO you have some paperwork from the dealer who was Deeley as in Deeley the dealer!
I have not found any original paperwork from the Deeley dealership but in case anyone is interested came across this the other day on the Deeley family and their role in motorcycles in western Canada.
https://scoutmagazine.ca/2015/02/23/you ... otorcycle/

Frank
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

It has taken a while but believe I have now found a type 1 front hub and must order shoes, rim and spokes ; then search more for a type 5 rear hub to build up. I may have to inquire of Draganfly what they might have used or just do the right thing and have them build up a pair of wheels for me.
Frank
fpassmore

Post by fpassmore »

I am ready to order new rims and spokes for this project as I have located the correct hubs for front and back. What would be the best on this painted or shall I go for chrome/SS combination?
Frank
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Painted centres as original is best for, well originality, if that is your thing. All painted looks good I think but all too easy to damage the paint when changing tyres. The easiest is plain chrome or stainless if you want long life.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

You have to be VERY careful when spoking a Painted centre wheel. If you do the wheels you need a matching tank. Fair bit of money in all that. I've done a few in all chrome but it looks less "classy" than Original and eventualy I rectified that. Easy to spend $ AUD 4,000 on wheels and tank. IF you have a WD model you're Laughing and 1940 is during the WAR years. Wink Wink.? Nev