Rigid rear wheel sprocket bolts

Singles, twins and fours.
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Rigid rear wheel sprocket bolts

Post by alan.moore »

Whats the consensus of opinion regarding the securing / locking of the ten 0522 bolts for the rear wheel sprocket. The parts book shows the locking tab below but is it Ok to use a serrated washer and / or loctite instead?
4319-29.jpg
Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
Brian_Walker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Rigid rear wheel sprocket bolts

Post by Brian_Walker »

Mine are drilled and wired for racing as its unlikely I would change it once fitted. Once you get on a roll with locking wire just about everything that could come undone ends up up drilled and wired!
1951-52 VCH under restoration
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The bolts have a slightly oversized shank originally which is a good fit in the original sprocket holes. It the bike is ridden with these loose at all , the hub threads rapidly become ovalized and the hub is not useable. The bolts must be quite tight and remain so to prevent this deterioration of the threads. Bit like the clutch basket to large sprocket screws which are slightly more critical and must be really Bl**dy tight to not move. The rear sprocket tabs look nice and original if they are readily available Nev
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

Nev,
Thanks for the info. , the tab washers are 4319-29 and Drags do them at £1.07 each !!
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Check they are the correct size to stop the tab rotating. They must touch the step on the brake drum casting that locates the sprocket to be effective. Some tabs I have here don't do that so don't serve their purpose. Nev
alan.moore

Post by alan.moore »

nevhunter wrote:Check they are the correct size to stop the tab rotating. They must touch the step on the brake drum casting that locates the sprocket to be effective. Some tabs I have here don't do that so don't serve their purpose. Nev
Nev, could you measure the thickness of one of the tabs you have got. I am going to have a go at making them myself
Cheers
Alan
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

The type you are interested in measures .018"( Eighteen thou) THICK, which is close to half a millimeter in Mild steel sheet. Re my post two preceding, I suggest you make the larger protrusion a bit longer. I suggest about .025", to make sure they won't just turn,, and fail to act as a lock tab at all . The one you picture may be a better fit than the ones I have which look as if they have been around for a long time. Are you going to get them plasma cut? . There's probably a lot who would use them if available and sure to work. Nev