Singles, twins and fours.
john.nash
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Which pistons are available for my ariel

Post by john.nash »

As a follow on to this:
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... 7&start=10
I'll make this topic sticky (so it's always at the top of the list).

Ok.
As a newbie with two singles, then getting NOS/good secondhand hepolite pistons has been problematical.
I could only find either JP (australian) or GPM/Gandini (italian) and opinion is divided on how good/bad these are.

I have a JP in one my singles and a NOS hepolite in the other, but need far more miles to comment.

What other NEW pistons are out there ?
For which models ?
How good/bad ??
John Nash
AOMCC No.4119
''78 t140 bonneville, '77 BMW R80, '67 CJ750, 196-ish Ural M62 outfit, '51 VH500, '49 project Ariel , '47 VH twinport, '44 Ariel WNG, '42 indian 741b, '41 Ariel WNG and piles of rusty scrap ....
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

Just a suggestion, but HD Sportster XLH pistons might be worth a look. I was given a couple of new std ones the other day,they are 81mm std , deck height is close to same, pin bore is 20mm ,Ariel 20.64,sleeves are available,all at very reasonable prices [I am notoriously tight.]The ones I have are very high compression,judging from the crowns, but I imagine a wide choice is available. In my humble opinion JP pistons are priced on the dear side of outrageous, without going into any other details which may be libellous.For the record, I fitted a Harley 74 piston to my Panther 600,and it ran for some years without problems, despite being too heavy, and secondhand .The bike is currently being restored[slowly] John.
adrie.degraaff

Re: Which pistons are available for my ariel

Post by adrie.degraaff »

There is a Ford V four piston of wich you'l have to take the top ring away, than in a lathe, turn from this ring gap to a mid circel of +/- 30mm.
This was also sold by Draganfly 20 years ago, my wyfe has done 30.000 km in 20 years with it in her VHA, she is still starting it first kick.

Only petrol, oil and tires cheance, still the same plug.

There are English members who are not so keen on them becouse you have only 1 ring and one scraper, the balance factor is perfect no vibrations.
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

The JP pistons would be expensive because they are low volume and the AU dollar is at a record high against the US $.
IF you are thinking of using Harley pistons
You would have to use the LOW comp Harley Sportster pistons. These fit the 1,000 CC motor that hasn't been made since 1985. You would have to obtain a large oversize to get to the Ariel overbore sizes, as the Harley piston is .8 ? mm smaller.
WISECO in the US may make something,
The later 880 HD pistons may fit. They are low deck, (comp) height. The Buell XB9 pistons are similar. I haven't got the actual bore size yet, for them, but they are bigger than the earlier ones. We have had a problem with getting pistons for the VH for a while in Australia, the JP ones are a little heavy,. Nev
Last edited by nevhunter on Mon Aug 01, 2011 12:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

If you need a large oversize, there is a Suzuki car piston also used in Vincent motorcycles, they are good.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Adrie, do you think you could kindly find out more details of the Ford Vee-4 and Suzuki car pistons? That info could be very useful.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

Normaly I am going to the machineshop, (where they hone your barrel) they have books with pistons, show them your Ariel piston and say "Ford V4" (mention the machining from the top ring to make the flathead round) or "Suzuki car".
They can order one piston of the four.
The Ford will range from 81.8mm till 83mm with the pin Ariel size, suzuki from 83mm till ?85 the pin mm size.
robin.parker
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by robin.parker »

Adrie, thanks again, that info just might be useful.
Another idea, does anyone have a "scrap" JP piston, ideally complete with rings and gudgeon pin, which I might beg to play with. I'm beginning to wonder if it may be possible to modify a JP to reduce the weight and also lessen the likelihood of seizure by altering the skirt. I'm in Worcestershire, and would happily pay for postage, or collect if not too far away.
Regards, Robin.
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

If you'r giving a 500cc 0.10 mm space at scirt bottem and don't go faster than 70km an hour for the first 1000 km after that not faster than 100km an hour there is no problem.
There will only be seizers if you make other mistakes like trying to go 140km without a forged T piston, or your liner is les than 2 milimeter.
Below 70km you only need 20 drops of oil a minit.
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

I asked at my VVMC and was told suzuki sp370 pistons are an easy alternative. They are 85mm and seem to be available on the internet.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.