GB Gearbox Oil Leak

Singles, twins and fours.
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: GB Gearbox Oil Leak

Post by john.whiting »

OT,but reading this reminded me of our old Holden.......the red autotrans fluid used to half fill the speedo,and the level would go up and down as you were driving.
Les H

Post by Les H »

Put me down as another sufferer of this problem. I thought the crankcase filter plate or primary chain case was leaking but leaving it laying over on the side stand revealed the oil was leaking from the gearbox and along the drive cable for whence it dripped.. I haven't removed the fixing yet but I was thinking that a fibre washer the same OD as the flange thread and small enough that the speedo cable boss is squashed against it when the fixing is tightened MUST stop any leaks???? Unless the actual cable is loose in the ferrule of course...:(
Les H

Post by Les H »

Just had a go at doing what I said above...NOW I can the problem. There is no flange to speak off is there. Anyway, I fitted a tiny fibre washer on the gearbox end of the drive and a tiny O ring on the cable side of the coupling shaft...It might work, but probably just help a small amount. I'll let you all know...