Sturmey Archer kickstart on VB31

Singles, twins and fours.
john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Sturmey Archer kickstart on VB31

Post by john.davies »

I have recently added a 1931 VB31 to my collection and am checking it over ready for the summer. I am finding when kicking her over the kick start does not engage until it over half way down so the engine over turns very little at each kick which makes starting difficult. The kick start in almost in an upright position at rest so a half of the movement is doing nothing. As this is my first bike with a Sturmey Archer gearbox, I don't know if this is normal or a sign of something has worn. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
Attachments
VB31_0003.jpg
Last edited by john.davies on Tue Jan 17, 2023 12:46 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Image 1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Sturmay Archer kickstart on VB31

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Sorry no experience of S-A boxes but this must either be a bad design or there are some teeth missing. Either way remove the outer cover and all should be revealed, although I have no idea on sources for spares.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnnyBeckett

Re: Sturmay Archer kickstart on VB31

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi john give Geoff Brown a ring at the the clubs gearbox spares i think he will be able to help you, and i think if you need parts made will know where to go
john.davies
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Sturmey Archer kickstart on VB31

Post by john.davies »

Thanks guys. Have been looking around the internet and found a booklet that shows information about S-A boxes. Looking at the pictures and reading the text I think the pawl is not engaging earlier enough. As Roger says, I guess I'll have to have a look and see why. Is there a source for spares for these boxes if I need any ?
Attachments
SA_Kick_Start1.jpg
SA_Kick_Start2.jpg
Image 1931 Ariel VB31, 1935 Triumph 5/3 project, 1946 Ariel Square 4, 1952 Norton Model 7, 1953 BSA A10 Super Flash, 1954 Ariel VH