'55 Square Four engine strip.

Singles, twins and fours.
tomwalker

Re: '55 Square Four engine strip.

Post by tomwalker »

paul.jameson wrote: Mon Jan 09, 2023 9:03 pm K147-53 is something of a mystery to me. This is not the oil seal itself, but a thin steel washer which goes on one side of it. The only conclusion I have ever been able to reach as to its purpose is to "tighten up" the oil seal. They are cheap enough and available from Drags or if I remember correctly Imay well have a spare one on the shelf.
K147-53 suggests a part originally for the KH but I can't find it in any of my KH parts books and I can't think where you would fit it on the KH. Hmmm.
Thats a relief Paul, it seems that the omission of this part by the last person to re-assemble the bike may not have been a gross error. I am trying to make sure that when I do the job, I get it as oil tight as possible. The only bad leak was from the gearbox, hence my concern in that area.
Tom Walker
1955 4G.
1934 New Imperial 100
1934 Harley Davidson VL
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: '55 Square Four engine strip.

Post by paul.jameson »

Gearbox oil leaks from the GB box are usually down the speedo cable. I have never succeeded in curing those completely, except on the Healey which has the gearbox speedo drive blanked off in favour of a front wheel speedo drive. On the other hand, my KHA is some months away from completion but has been leaking oil for about 8 months now and I have only put a small amount in the bottom of the box so far!
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.