Fuel tank filler cap

Singles, twins and fours.
Bob.Murphy
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Fuel tank filler cap

Post by Bob.Murphy »

Dave,
The hole in the cap spindle is for a security chain that goes into the tank with a heavy wire bridging piece on the end.

With a clevis attaching the chain to the spindle you won't need the lower locknut :!:

Having the filler cap dangling on the outside of the tank might not be good for the paintwork though.

Bob.
My avatar shows the late Len Rich in 1970 with the bike I now have - a 1958 Ariel VH
Chris Sealy

Post by Chris Sealy »

Hi Dave. I am currently rebuilding a basket case squariel. As Will says, the vent hole is much closer to the other end of the threaded shaft. I wonder if the hole shown in your photo is where someone has drilled to fit a split pin, instead of a lock nut. Have you tried dribbling some thin oil down the vent hole, from the top, to see where it comes out?
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

I agree with the idea of a security chain to prevent the filler cap getting
lost. Below should be an image of the screw from my filler cap:
filler_1.jpg
It's not the clearest but you should be able to see both the size and location
of the vent inlet. The outlet is via a hole in the centre top of the screw.
Dave Fearon

Post by Dave Fearon »

So having taken the fuel cap apart completely I can see that there is already a hole drilled near the top. I have taken off the cork washer as I cannot see any use for it, and it is disintegrating into the fuel tank. This cork washer seems to have been supplied with the Indian made version of the petrol cap which is no longer available from Draganfly. I have ordered a rubber washer to seal the cap. Thanks for everyone's input. Dave
dennis.t
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by dennis.t »

On my Indian replica fuel cap the hole shown between the nuts is not a vent hole but one for a split pin. They used only one nut with the split pin to stop that nut coming off the threaded shaft.
Dennis
1955 VH500 alloy head
1956 NH350 restoration in progress