Bike history

Singles, twins and fours.
TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Bike history

Post by TonyBaxter »

Hi all, I'm just fixing an oil leak that appears to be coming from the soldered joint on the head feed, and decided that whilst I was doing that I would perform an oil change. I also decided that removing the oil tank to give it a good flush, would perhaps allow me to tackle a few dents it exhibits too.
The point of this post though is now I can clearly see the gearbox number, I was reminded to look the code up on the Draganfly website.
Now, some of you may remember that I have known this bike for several years, the previous owner having brought it back from India, probably over 20 years ago now. He had it languishing un-used for many years, and I was tasked with getting it running again, and registering it for him. This we duly did, though it was clear that it wasn't as factory spec, wearing a W/NG frame and engine number, but sporting tele forks and many other departures from standard.
Anyway, long story short, it was pointed out by the eagle-eyed on here, that it wasn't a W/NG frame, the rear tubes not giving the increased ground clearance.This of course made sense, the only genuine W/NG part is the bottom half of the engine, and clearly someone long ago has tampered with the frame number, matching it to the engine. I looked up the gearbox number, and it is indeed from '46 (G7 code), and was fitted to either a VG, VH, or VB. Would the actual number be in the despatch records? Ie, can I positively identify what this bike was when it left Selly Oak? Currently, to be clear, it has a 350 engine, and the cycle parts appear to be De-Luxe rather than Red Hunter, so I'm guessing that narrows it down to VG or VB.
Cheers, Tony.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Bike history

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i think Roger Gwynn may be able to help you he is very good
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

Actual numbers of the individual gearboxes do not appear after the company went bust in 1932. Postwar, all you have is the gearbox type, month (letter) and year to identify the box. If you PM me the engine and frame numbers I will see if there is anything that might help you with the history but don't hold your breath for anything.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

Thanks Paul, but I don't have the original frame number, and your comment about the individual gearbox numbers pretty much settles the matter. Unless I got the frame X-rayed!
Thanks anyway chaps. At least I'm now pretty sure what year the bike is, I had guessed at '47/48, so nice that it's even slightly earlier.
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

Just looking back through my own posts, Roger had already identified the gearbox number, and subsequently the date, last year - DOH :?

My memory must be worse than I thought! The only difference is that last year I knew less info about the details. Now having rebuilt the primary, which has the extra clutch plate in it from the standard 350, I am confident that most of the bike is original to 1946 and it is indeed the 350 engine that is the cuckoo in the nest. I strongly suspect that it would have been unlikely someone overseas (India) would've ordered a 500 ohv immediately after the war, so I guess it started life as a 600 VB.
I already have a 600cc side valve single, a Triumph 6S, so I'll stick with the 350 motor as I rather like it, and it's surprisingly peppy once it gets into it's stride.
Knud.Degnbol

Post by Knud.Degnbol »

With a little luck, you might be able to find the original frame number.
Polish the place, where it should have been, with emery and put a few drops of acid on that place. That might make it readable, unless the new number is stamped on the same place.
TonyBaxter

Post by TonyBaxter »

Knud.Degnbol wrote: Tue Nov 08, 2022 7:32 pm With a little luck, you might be able to find the original frame number.
Polish the place, where it should have been, with emery and put a few drops of acid on that place. That might make it readable, unless the new number is stamped on the same place.
I have thought about it, perhaps I shall sometime if I decide to repaint the frame.