Worn ks quadrant

Singles, twins and fours.
FrankBeevers

Worn ks quadrant

Post by FrankBeevers »

Sorry if this is an old chestnut and the answer might be elsewhere on the Forum. I've looked and can't find it, so forgive me if I have made a mistake. I've finally finished the restoration of my 1957 Huntmaster and have had it running well. The kickstart has become troublesome with jamming and the clutch having to be slipped to allow the quadrant to mesh. This got rapidly worse until it drove me to take the end cover off the gearbox and have a look. The problem is that the face on the second tooth on the quadrant is worn flat, which is stopping it meshing with the gearwheel. Two possibilities spring to mind for a cure; one is to grind off the second tooth to match the first tooth, as the third and subsequent teeth are not worn. The other is to press the quadrant off the shaft and reverse it. No problem, as I've got the workshop facilities to do that easily. Question is, which is the better option, or is there a third way? (Well apart from trying to buy a replacement, which I'd be very happy to do!)

Thanks for your patience in reading this, and also for any answers,

All the best, Frank
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Worn ks quadrant

Post by Roger Gwynn »

This is a common problem with the Burman box. The tooth on the quadrant jams against the tooth on the ratchet pinion. The cause is one or more of wear on the quadrant teeth, ratchet pinion and play in the kickstart shaft bushes. I don't know that turning the quadrant round will work but it is worth trying; you will have to remove just the right amount off the first tooth. Removing half of the 2nd tooth will also work but will mean more travel before the k/start engages. The quadrants are not tight, a vice will do the job.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
FrankBeevers

Post by FrankBeevers »

Thanks Roger. I think I'll try turning the quadrant round as a first shot.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i have tried all you can do to try and fix this problem until i change the outer kickstart gearbox case now it is good
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

I'd be wary of reversing the quadrant, if it comes out of engagement at the bottom of the lever stroke what's to say it won't jam there, (as it's doing at the start now)?

Also I don't think the quadrant is symmetrical - see photo:
KS Quadrant.png
KS Quadrant.png (272.04 KiB) Viewed 397 times
I'd bite the bullet and get a replacement.

Regards Mick
FrankBeevers

Post by FrankBeevers »

Thanks Mick. I've thought about the problem some more and I think you are right. I found a quadrant on ebay yesterday and have ordered it. I did that as I've had a much closer look at the one I have got!! Comparing it to the photo of the quadrant 3325-31 on the Drags website (no longer available) I noticed that mine had 17 teeth whereas Drags had 18. Also, the second tooth was quite worn on the face, causing the pinion to fail to slide down it, and just locking up. A further clue was that the first tooth, the ground down one, had got a burr on its back edge caused I think by being struck by the back face of the pinion tooth. Very odd. I bought the bike as a restoration project that had been started by the (deceased) PO. The gearbox was very tidy-looking and the gears all working correctly. It was the original box to the bike, I think. Although it was in the frame it wasn't coupled up to the engine so had never been properly tested. My belief was that he had got hold of the wrong (and worn) quadrant when he went through the box. Anyway, thanks for your help and input. Much appreciated.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi there was two quadrants i think the 18 teeth one is for the square four gearbox i would try geoff brown the clubs gearbox spares that is where i got my one he had some made last year