Collapsed insert and attempted AWOL Engine Stud on my VH

Singles, twins and fours.
MGriffin
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Collapsed insert and attempted AWOL Engine Stud on my VH

Post by MGriffin »

Evening,
Last weekend a group of die hards (and myself) gathered for a 4 day ride through rural parts of South East South Australia and Western Victoria. My VH didnt disgrace itself (well, not initially) among much younger machines including Vintage BMW, Moto Guzzi and modern KTM and Suzuki.
Fast forward 1000km and i was starting the last day to head for home. I set out early from our digs to take it easy as I knew the roads were going to be slower for me.
All humming along at the 500’s usual 65-70mph, I pulled in 40km up the road to top up the tank at a big petrol station stop.
A coffee downed and back to it. Fuel on, compression found, decompress, push thru and kick to start. Missed that one. Do it again……and what the? Nothing…no compression…zip. Scratch head and fiddle about with decomp lever but to no avail.
Gloves off, Helmet off and delve into seeking out the foible.
After about 1/2 hour of zero-ing in on the exhaust valve and its total loss of clearance, the determination by myself and my learned friends (3 of which being Arielists themselves but not riding them) arriving by my side by then, was either the lash cap had jammed somehow or….more likely to me, the valve insert had moved and jarred the valve open.
Now, I am no fan of dismantling my bikes or cars for that matter on the roadside so, agreement with the petrol station to lock the bike away was made and I became a pillion with my good mate and the Moto Guzzi for the last 300km to home……in the rain!
Returning that afternoon to collect my beloved VH the day ended just before 10pm….exhausted!

Head off a day later revealed a collapsed valve seat. The seats were not renewed 4000miles earlier during the restoration as they looked perfect and cut in just right.
Anyway the head gets a rebuild somewhat prematurely and I get to count my lucky stars because…..wait….I missed a bit!

Rewind to day 3 and the fun actually started when I was alerted to my main front 1/2” frame stud at a rest stop about to part company from the ride. This still blows my mind thinking about it and looking at the pic. Those 26tpi nuts had been previously tightened! New ones are now well loctited in place!!!

Michael,
Australia.

PS - the Altette horn was at all times, fast asleep, oblivious and perfectly tight in place, go figure!!
Attachments
E20E241F-850A-47D5-A472-7C139EE7ADD0.jpeg
5BB4FF44-1B66-4571-B210-4CE0A90F36AB.jpeg
F259B12E-52EC-4BEC-B9D3-6784B07FA730.jpeg
4FBBA8B5-780C-4910-BFA7-39FD02DE9DD7.jpeg
50C2D46B-EEF5-4D75-B7E6-62E657600E09.jpeg
Last edited by MGriffin on Thu Oct 27, 2022 3:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
Regards
Michael.

28 Model A
28 Model C
48 Red Hunter
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Collapsed insert on my VH

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I have fixed some seemingly impossible things at the side of the road but I think anyone would be stuck with that and not something I have come across before.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Pete.Silson »

Wayward front engine mountings don't seem to bother Ariels too much.
something missing.jpg
Mine disappeared somewhere along the way during an adventure down the back lanes this Summer. I did notice a slight tendency to wallow on fast bends but I put this down to the Ansty back end. I didn't notice the missing stud until I got home where a 1/2" Whitworth bolt from the "useful" bin fixed it until I could make a new stud.
MGriffin
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by MGriffin »

Pete.Silson wrote: Wed Oct 26, 2022 10:52 am Mine disappeared somewhere along the way during an adventure down the back lanes this Summer. I did notice a slight tendency to wallow on fast bends but I put this down to the Ansty back end.
Wallowing at least I would suggest!
Thanks for the feedback.
M.
Regards
Michael.

28 Model A
28 Model C
48 Red Hunter