How LOUD????

Singles, twins and fours.
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

How LOUD????

Post by Martin K »

Hoping to hear from the excellent FH experts (Mick D - please take a bow)….

Having run around the local area in ever increasing circles to test drive and shakedown my Huntmaster, I cannot believe how loud the exhaust note is!!

I’ve got a Feked 2 into 2 set of ‘normal’ exhausts fitted. Rang them and asked if there should be any packing in them (looking straight through, there are two or three baffle plates with a series of holes around them, but I can see daylight) they said that’s correct.

At Tickover, it’s lovely, gentle revs also nice. From about 1/3 throttle onwards before each gear change, it’s deafening!

Next gear, all goes quite (and very smooth!) again.

Overall it’s great - but high revs is enough to wake the sleepiest of neighbours. It’s not mechanical engine noise (that’s surprisingly quiet, no rattles or clattering) - just the booming bellow behind me summoning the local environmental protection officer.

Can anyone suggest an easy way to dial it down a bit?
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: How LOUD????

Post by Julian Murphy »

Find a noise camera and you will know how loud it really is. :lol: :lol:

'Noise camera' trials to detect rowdy drivers coming to Bradford, Bristol, Great Yarmouth and Birmingham
https://www.gov.uk/government/news/nois ... birmingham
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Advanced valve timing will cause this and/or retarded spark. How is the performance and Pipe colour.? Nev
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Hi Nev

You may be right. I haven’t strobed the ignition yet, so it may be firing too late/a bit retarded - I have my suspicions! Pipes are slightly blue and gold down the first 6inches or so from the headers. It starts first/second kick every time and ticks over really well - so it may not be miles out, but at higher revs, that may be where it starts to show up more?

Maybe that’s the next step.

I think the valve timing is spot on.

If the strobe doesn’t do it, maybe a final check of valve timing might be next.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Martin

I have a twin pipe Armour's system so can't compare like with like, also I live and ride in a rural area so don't experience reflected exhaust noise very much.

If your pipes are bluing I'd advance the ignition a bit and see what effect that has, (probably not a lot on the noise level), and investigate getting a suitable 'in pipe' baffle to bring down the Dbs:

https://www.feked.com/exhausts/silencer-baffles/

Regards Mick
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Martin K wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 7:13 am Hi Nev

You may be right. I haven’t strobed the ignition yet, so it may be firing too late/a bit retarded - I have my suspicions! Pipes are slightly blue and gold down the first 6inches or so from the headers. It starts first/second kick every time and ticks over really well - so it may not be miles out, but at higher revs, that may be where it starts to show up more?

Maybe that’s the next step.

I think the valve timing is spot on.

If the strobe doesn’t do it, maybe a final check of valve timing might be next.
Is the auto advance working? If not, it will be effectively more retarded at higher revs.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Mick D wrote: Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:42 am Hi Martin

I have a twin pipe Armour's system so can't compare like with like, also I live and ride in a rural area so don't experience reflected exhaust noise very much.

If your pipes are bluing I'd advance the ignition a bit and see what effect that has, (probably not a lot on the noise level), and investigate getting a suitable 'in pipe' baffle to bring down the Dbs:

https://www.feked.com/exhausts/silencer-baffles/

Regards Mick
Mick - you’ve done it again! Many thanks for the pointer to feked. I had no clue they did such things (neither did they when I called!)
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i run most of my bikes with open pipes in london so people can hear you coming , ( as they say Loud pipes saves lives ) and i think that is true
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Johnny

I live about 40mins west of London….. I think I heard you going along the embankment from here earlier today…..
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

More baffling on the inlet side of a muffler can reduce performance quite a lot. Nev