Ariel Square Four Wiring Ignition Warning Light

Singles, twins and fours.
keith wainwright
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Ariel Square Four Wiring Ignition Warning Light

Post by keith wainwright »

Hi Guys wonder if you can help. Fitted an electronic ignition control unit from Drags however that works fine but I connot get the Ignition warning light to operate. The wiring is correct, White wire from ignition warning light to SW terminal on coil. Yellow wire from ignition warning light to D terminal on Dynamow, bulb ok. I suspect it could be electronic control module. Any work rounds would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Keith
Chris Sealy

Re: Ariel Square Four Wiring Ignition Warning Light

Post by Chris Sealy »

Hi Keith. Looking at Wallers diagram; I can see that the bulb is lit when terminal SW gets battery live, via the ignition switch.
The other side of the bulb is earthed via the dynamo armature winding, which has a very low resistance. Therefore the bulb has slightly less than full battery voltage across it.
When the engine is running, the dynamo output at terminal D rises to battery voltage, and above. This results in a much lower current through the bulb, and it goes out.
Without seeing the circuit connection diagram, for your electronic ignition system, I can only guess that the wire from the ignition switch is now connected elsewhere. Try connecting the white wire to that same point. Cheers, Chris.