So here’s something I should have spotted

Singles, twins and fours.
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

So here’s something I should have spotted

Post by Martin K »

Unable to leave the FH timing side oil leak alone - off comes the case.

Whilst I knew there were obvious repairs from the past (see photo), I didn’t realise they’d have such an impact. The second piccie tries to show the unevenness of that mating face - pushed together onto the inner, I can get an 8 thou feeler gauge into the gap where (perhaps not surprisingly!) the oil leaks out, despite a dose of wellseal and good gasket.

I know clever engineery-types can surface grind heads and other block sized engine things.

Does anyone know if they can do clever surface dressing and grind/remove c.5 thou off the whole of the timing cover to get it to mate perfectly without those raises/dips? How do they keep it flat and locked while that happens?

Thanks

Or (god forbid) do I look for a new cover?
Attachments
9E0B490E-5481-47D8-AC53-CA3D983BC45C.jpeg
6EC6D827-D7D2-4C20-A3D8-519B642BA13F.jpeg
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: So here’s something I should have spotted

Post by Mick D »

Hi Martin

It's a DIY job. Get yourself a flat surface, (lump of MDF about 19mm thick or offcut of kitchen worktop, (plate glass / surface plate are the best but not necessary in this case)). Lay it on the flattest thing to hand, (flat table, uncarpeted floor etc), and cover it with wet and dry paper secured with spray mount adhesive. I'd use 400 grit or if you're feeling energetic, 600. Wet the paper with soapy water and dress the face of the cover by moving it in random circles gently pressing down, (try to rock the cover to determine where the high points are and concentrate on lapping these), keep checking the mating face to see where metal is being removed and adjust pressure to even out removal. Once the face is uniformly abraded wash off the debris, dry, trial fit it back onto the inner and check for gaps. Repeat as required ;)

The lapping motion should be circular, in that your hands describe a circle not that the cover rotates.

Just seen from your photo that the dynamo chain is dry, cough, this should be lubricated with grease.
Dynamo chain lube.png
Dynamo chain lube.png (68.51 KiB) Viewed 344 times
Regards Mick
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: So here’s something I should have spotted

Post by Martin K »

Great stuff Mick, many thanks - random circles it is then.

I had put grease all over the dynamo chain, but clearly nothing like enough! 4oz - wow, I’ll go find a spoon!