Wellseal or gasket cement on PCC and timing cover

Singles, twins and fours.
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Wellseal or gasket cement on PCC and timing cover

Post by Martin K »

While sorting out my FH carburation (other posts on THAT topic!), I note that now I’ve filled up various oil levels, I have a couple of seeps/leaks. There is a ‘wet’ line along the bottom of the PCC as the oil seaps out.

On the timing side, there’s a weep at the front down by the oil pump area. One blob each day sort of rate.

Neither are major, but I’d prefer them to be oil tight!

Crankcase, head, rockers, base and PCC inner and timing inner all oil tight.

I’ve sealed them all up by a layer of wellseal either side of the paper gaskets (where used) then tightened them up. I don’t want to super tighten the screws - always wary of stripping one 😖. I used wellseal supposedly so they’re easy to remove if/when I need to. However - views sought on whether I should use a more ‘setting’ gasket sealant. Would that stop the leaks? Or does wellseal make a tighter joint as it gradually gets less sticky and sets a bit?

Or (god forbid) I love with a weeping set of cases?

Thanks

Martin
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Wellseal or gasket cement on PCC and timing cover

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Gaskets settle - tighten the screws up so they're 'tight-firm' (as opposed to 'tight-effing tight')
And be prepared to check them again after a couple of heat cycles.
If the screws ain't tight enough they might work loose and fall out completely....

I don't use gasket goo anywhere on the Ariel, I put up with the 'misting' along some of the joints - but Wellseal would be the only one I'd consider using.
(Others will have completely different opinions - although I'm not sure we can get the sort of stuff here in the UK that they seem to be able to find in Oz...)

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi Martin

I use Wellseal on both sides of the paper gaskets too, I also put a blob onto the threads of the screw in the belief that the 'gumminess' will prevent the screws vibrating out.

If nipping up the screws doesn't stop the weep don't risk stripping them, live with it until you next have the cover off and do a better job of sealing it ;) (have a good look in the weeping areas for damage to the faces).

Though not standard, you can install fibre washers under the screw heads if oil is wicking out from there.

Regards Mick
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Fibre washers under the screw heads was standard from 1935, 2096-53 if memory serves, which it doesn't so often. I use Wellseal on both sides. If you want it to really seal, clean both surfaces with brake cleaner or similar, apply a very thin coating and allow to dry before assembling. Warning, you may need quite some force to separate the parts later. For easy dismantling leave one surface slightly oily, basically don't clean it with the brake cleaner. As people who know my bike, I live with the leaks, most people do and only fix if they become bad, one blob a day is very good. That is after a run, isn't it?
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i use wellseal on my gaskets and i get my gaskets from Drags i think there gaskets are a lot better and a bit thicker and better then the clubs ones , and i use it on metal faces and casings that use no gaskets if, it good enough for Rolls-Royce it's good enough for me :D
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by chris.shearwood »

Martin K wrote: Wed Aug 03, 2022 10:35 pm There is a ‘wet’ line along the bottom of the PCC as the oil seaps out.
Martin,
Are you sure the seepage is coming from the PCC gasket? I remember on one of my Ariels, I stopped what I had thought to be a leaking PCC gasket by putting Teflon tape on the threads of one of the screws holding the clutch dome.
Regards, Chris
1946 4G and 1951 VH
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Thanks for the various guides everyone.

I think I’ll live with it for now (and as Mick says) do a mega-job next time the cases come off.

I might also look into the ‘oil past the screws’ wicking on the PCC

Drags gaskets all very good - the human installer may well be the problem!!!