VH Wheels: Spokes and Offset. FULL width Hubs

Singles, twins and fours.
Les H

VH Wheels: Spokes and Offset. FULL width Hubs

Post by Les H »

Just to say I have searched for previous Q & As on this but nothing conclusive. The bike is a 1959 VH (REAR Full width alloy hub and W2 rim)
Question 1) Were the original spokes single butted (hub end)?
Question 2) Offset...Do I just build the wheel rim equi-spaced (centralised) to the hub flanges? This way no off-set from brake side is required to be known.

I'm thinking of using SS spokes with brass nipples with probably a chrome rim but might use Devon Rims SS ones...Any views or anecdotal remarks?

Straightforward questions really.
Many thanks for any help. :)
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: VH Wheels: Spokes and Offset. FULL width Hubs

Post by Mick D »

Hi

My 58 FH with QD rear wheel has butted spokes at the hub end, I measured the offset at dis-assembly as 3/32" from the brake side hub to the rim edge.

DRC supplied Rolltru SS rims, spoke sets and nipples for my restoration and I was very pleased with the product. DRC are not the cheapest but having used their products on four restorations I will happily go back to them for my next :D

Regards Mick
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Original spokes were butted and wheel rims should be central between flanges, spokes over 2 both sides. Chrome or stainless is a personal choice, possibly your wallet may have something to say as well. https://draganfly.co.uk/product-categor ... aluminium/
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks very much to both of you Mick and Roger. The additional off-set distance from brake side edge is useful as I'm not sure if my original rear rim is not set over to the left as I can't seem to get the back mudguard to appear in line with it, but as thought, just getting it set equally in relation to the hub flanges should make it easier to do. I will either buy from "Central Wheels Components" or Devon Rims but amazingly DR does not produce their excellent rims chromed plated anymore, it's either SS or raw steel. My front rim is pretty good but not perfect (CWC) and is chromed (basic quality ones?) , so I have a dilemma what to choose for the rear rim in that if I do choose SS I will feel I need to do the front one to match....As excellent as the SS rims are from Devon rims, I can still tell the rims are stainless because they have a very very slight gold tint but look OK on my newly restored '64 Matchless 650. By the way...SHOULD I install a "security bolt fixing" on the rear. I forgot when I built my Dominator rims but no movement as yet...Many thanks again, I can buy confidently now I know, but must choose between CWC and DR and if I do go for the CWC chrome, their basic ones or their top quality chrome ones at an additional 50 quid or so?...
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Les

My T160V had two tyre bolts by design so I got DRC to drill my new rim to accept them, I don't drive my bikes too hard nowadays but do like to keep things as per original.

Regards Mick
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks Mick, that's a good idea of getting the supplier to drill the hole/s. I have to say I'm a little worried now that I didn't fit the bolt on the Dommi rim, I'll have to keep an eye on the valve stem so I'll leave the securing ring nut loose. I have to say I hate fitting tyres with rims that have the bolts fitted they seem to make the job harder. Cheers Mick