VB Steering Stem

Singles, twins and fours.
phil.trotter

VB Steering Stem

Post by phil.trotter »

My rusty 1937 VB600 has slight damage to the thread on the steering stem. I'm assuming that it's 1-1/4" Cycle Thread but before I start searching for a die, can anyone confirm this please.
phil.trotter

Re: VB Steering Stem

Post by phil.trotter »

Please ignore erroneous dimension earlier, I should have said 1-1/8” cycle thread.
will_curry
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by will_curry »

Have you considered a thread file?

You may be able to clean the thread up using a thread file rather than
going to the expense of getting hold of a die.
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

All fine threads on Ariels are CEI, 26 tpi below 1/2 and usually 20 tpi above 7/16 but the steering stem is 26. I recommend Will's advice to use a thread file, cheaper and a very useful tool. There is the occasional BSF and small diameters may be BA or CEI including 7/32 x 26 on front brake rods.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

A roller thread restored,they roll the damaged and flattened threads back to form,where as a file removes them,the file is the cheapest way though.good luck with it.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi

You will probably struggle to find a cycle thread restoring file and will baulk at the cost of an 1 1/8" capacity universal restoring clamp.

A metric restoring file with a 1mm pitch amongst it's potential eight options will be close enough to restore the thread on your stem, though whether it will be any cheaper than a dedicated die from Tracy Tools is debatable.

https://www.tracytools.com/taps-and-die ... uct_id=985

Regards Mick
phil.trotter

Post by phil.trotter »

Thanks for all the helpful suggestions. I've just examined the male and female threads and they look perfect, they could be slightly oval but it's unlikely, they will go on but far too tight. I do have an account with Tracy tools and I think it's about time our company had a 1-1/8" cycle thread tap and die in the machine shop.
Andy H

Post by Andy H »

If you want I can go and look to see if I have one,I do have a few big dies for this sort of thing,you are welcome to borrow it if I have one if thats a help.
phil.trotter

Post by phil.trotter »

Thanks Andy that's a kind offer but I've just ordered a tap and die, cheap at £15 each from Tracy Tools and carbon steel is ok for tidying up threads. Anyway, I might need them again, I have another two rusty Ariels to consider.
will_curry

Post by will_curry »

If I were going to take any metal off anything I'd start with the nuts.
They are a good deal easier to replace than the steering head.