Starting Huntmaster when cold

Singles, twins and fours.
john.hayman

Starting Huntmaster when cold

Post by john.hayman »

My 55 Huntmaster is hard to start cold, it takes a lot of tickling, half choke, a bit of throttle and at least a dozen kicks. When its
warm, starts first kick every time. It has its original monoblock which Ive had apart and cleaned, put new main and pilot jets in
as per manual and the needle is set in the middle notch. Is there something obvious Im overlooking?
Other Huntmaster owners Ive talk to, give the carb a few tickles, no choke and 1 or 2 kicks to start when cold.
volker.halbach
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Starting Huntmaster when cold

Post by volker.halbach »

Worn throttle slide?
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Could be blocked pilot passage, if possible try a different carb, blow through with airline. Check everything, it may not be the carb (although most likley)
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Les H

Post by Les H »

On any AMAL monobloc or concentric carb, half choke with a small amount of throttle does NOTHING as regards richening the mixture. Reason: the choke slide is only seen by the incoming air when it drops below the throttle slide cutaway which is very small. If the slide does not impede incoming air no extra fuel is sucked in. Try closing the choke fully and only tickle for 2x short dips....Also spend some time getting your tick-over mixture spot on so it ticks over reliably. THEN try a closed throttle when attempting the cold start (full choke and a small tickle) If no joy, progress to about an 1/8th throttle.
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi John

I have to concur with your mates, I start my FH from cold by depressing the tickler until fuel leaks from it then a hefty swing on about 1/8th throttle, (no choke). Usually starts first or second kick and always fires to some extent. If it's being reluctant and stops firing I tickle again. I only use the choke after it has started to maintain a tick over whilst it warms up, no more than two or three minutes.

Regards Mick