Wick Oiler.png
Wick Oiler.png (153.71 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Oil Lines ll.png
Oil Lines ll.png (269.15 KiB) Viewed 411 times
Regards Mick
Les H

Re: PRIMARY CHAINCASE CLUTCH SHAFT SEAL-4 stroke

Post by Les H »

Superb help, Simon, Will and Mick. I've found the oiler hole and chain oiler pipe at the bottom. So it is a correct age tank, that's a relief. Don't know why I couldn't find them before as I'd looked a couple of times but having the photos really helped. Many thanks. However the bottom feed pipe has been connected to a blank sealed pipe after an inch or two so obviously the owners wasn't worried about having it work. My fist thoughts were to buy the oil feed for the chainguard but when I consider the amount of mileage I'll be doing on this bike, perhaps I won't bother. I'll just squirt in some chain grease spray via the lower inspection grommet hole which is easy enough to do. Oil from the p-chaincase is nearly stopped but will strip down the case to see what I have. I maybe able to correct some spacing of the deflector lip whatever or improve on it..Will get back when done. Thanks very much again all. So helpful :)
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi Les

The pipe and dedicated grommet for the chain oiler are shown in this photo:
Chain Oiler.png
As you can see, my pipe had been crushed by a PO but it was still free to pass oil. However, I decided to blank off the port in the oil tank, after removing the felt plug, with a expanding rubber bung as I use ceramic grease, (Putoline), to lube my chains. The pipe etc. was left in place to maintain the 'look'. Hoping the weather protection afforded by the FERC will ensure good chain life.

Regards Mick
Les H

Post by Les H »

Thanks Mick.Thanks for showing me. It's quite a contraption...can;t see myself rushing out to buy one. Thinking about it...maybe I still have one in place but not connected by tube?. ..I would have to search below the battery area? When I haven't anything else to do, I'll look, it will be some time I reckon :) Cheers again
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i don't use the oiller from the oil tank and get oil over the rear wheel and tyre i use a modem chain spray lube and i remove the chain now and again and wash it and relube it in hot grease :D :D
Les H

Post by Les H »

I agree Johnny. After speaking about it earlier I took a peep inside the lower inspection hole and something about the spring link made me think my chain is a O-Ring type..it certainly feels heavier than the the normal 530 type chain, so less oil needed anyway if it is :)
Last edited by Les H on Tue Jul 19, 2022 3:20 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

As there are not any differences between the 1957-59 bikes the only way to tell a bitsa is from mismatched numbers on the engine, frame and gearbox. There are also dates on the reg box, dynamo, mag and horn.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Roger Gwynn wrote: Tue Jul 19, 2022 2:43 pm As there are not any differences between the 1957-59 bikes the only way to tell a bitsa is from mismatched numbers on the engine, frame and gearbox. There are also dates on the reg box, dynamo, mag and horn.
Hi Roger

Could I ask you to expand on this please?

Where the magneto is concerned, is this the month and year of manufacture?
Mag Date.png
There are maks on the back of my 1441 horn, but I omitted to photograph them during the rstoration, is this where the date is?

I have found the dynamo marks on the main case and also the armature.

I don't remember seeing any indication of the regulator age:
Regulator.png
Regulator.png (267.91 KiB) Viewed 307 times
Any pointers?

Regards Mick
david.birkett

Post by david.birkett »

I had this problem with my '57 FH and now I've got it with my '57 NH. I agree with Mick, any more oil than just enough to touch the chain gets wasted. If I can touch the chain through the filler hole and feel oil, so far as I'm concerned it is ok.
Regards, David.