Torque values for timing pinion, oil pump and camshaft

Singles, twins and fours.
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Torque values for timing pinion, oil pump and camshaft

Post by Martin K »

Afternoon all, FH is coming together well.

Now it’s getting serious - want to make sure nothing unwinds when (if) I get it running!

Timing pinion snugly installed on that left handed thread on the crankshaft. I’d welcome views on what torque to do it up to - and do I torque the bevel drive itself, then add the lock washer and lock nut and re torque - or simply torque up the locknut once it’s all on.

Same for the oil pump - the three little nuts on spring washers. What torque (or just a light ‘nip’)

Finally (for today!), I’ve installed the cam pinion, but with all the end float on the cam (c.5mm) I’m sure I’ve not got it fully ‘home’ yet. So - using the threaded holes in the pinion, and the extractor tool, do I use that to lock the cam and slowly tighten the nut to drive it further into the cam? How much end float should be left when it’s done? And what torque to do up the cam nut when I’ve done all that?

Thanks in advance (Mick and Simon most likely 😉)

Martin
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Torque values for timing pinion, oil pump and camshaft

Post by Mick D »

Hi Martin

I fitted the half time pinion using the retaining nut and a short length of tube to snug it down. Then the worm gear was fitted by hand and the first nut installed and torqued, (probably to about 30 Lb ft, (I didn't use a torque wrench, just did it by feel) - tab washer added and second nut torqued up, (I used a thin spanner on the first nut to react against), then locked the pair with the washer.

The oil pump nuts just need to be 'nipped up' and should be installed with internal shake proof washers.

i don't recall any undue end float in the camshaft so I'd recommend you remove the gear and see where the camshaft shoulder sits in relation to the surface of it's bush, if all looks good refit the gear using the nut to seat it. Again, I didn't use a torque wrench, but would think I torqued it to around 30 Lb ft, (I left the torqueing and locking until I had the shock absorber installed so as I could react against the crank shaft).

Regards Mick