After market exhausts on FH

Singles, twins and fours.
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

After market exhausts on FH

Post by Martin K »

Hi

Engine is now in, although head/rocker etc just ‘placed’ (dry fit) for now. I’ve placed the down pipes on the head. They’re after market ones (maybe obviously after so many years) but the angle they join the head is slightly ‘off’ and they need a good shove to sit onto the downtube bolts. Once the head is bolted on properly, I’m wondering just how much pressure the head will be under with the pipes effectively being ‘sprung’ and will that affect the head gasket seal? Unlikely possibly, but fitting the pipes to the finished engine will certainly put the head under more pressure than a slick fit…. Thoughts welcome.

Also, the downpipe ends are very long. If I slide the silencers on, the pipe hits the internal baffle before the silence comes far enough back to reach the mounting stub on the frame. So I plan to cut the downpipes - any advice on where? Make them just long enough to clamp, or should they go further into the silencer for some sort of back pressure effect/quieter running.

Picture included of progress so far.
Attachments
D71A363F-FB5A-4156-98D5-3EE9AB96933D.jpeg
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: After market exhausts on FH

Post by simon.holyfield »

I think several of us have been through this recently - you might like to look at my blog post on the subject.

https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com/ ... s.html?m=1

If these are Feked, I think you will find that they spring into place eventually, though they are certainly too long. I cut 2" from mine, and the front brackets need a bit of tweaking.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Absolutely brilliant, thanks for your help Simon. Couldnt be more on point to the question!

I love this motorcycle club!!!
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi Martin

I bought my exhaust system from Armours and am very pleased with it but yours does seem to require a bit of 'adjustment', however, don't let that put you off.

Trim the exhaust pipe tails to suit your silencers, (we're not talking tuned systems here ;) ), the mismatch on the exhaust will correct itself within a few heat cycles unless you are talking major strain to fit the pipe.

Regards Mick

Edited to say: The bike looks very nice but I hope that's not powder coat on the barrels - matt heat resistant paint is my preference.
simon.holyfield

Post by simon.holyfield »

Martin K wrote: Wed Jun 08, 2022 2:28 pm I love this motorcycle club!!!
Quite agree, the support and comradeship is excellent. That's the main reason I've now got four Ariels!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Martin K
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Martin K »

Hi Mick

Correct - not powder coated. Applied by the wonderful T&L engineering heroes (or Barry, as he prefers to be known), it’s high temp black paint which will Matt when heated, when it (hopefully!) fires up.

It’s getting closer!