Mystery cam

Singles, twins and fours.
Pete.Silson
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Mystery cam

Post by Pete.Silson »

Can anybody out there identify the single-lobe cam (right in picture)?
single lobe and mystery cam.jpg
It has a lift of about 0.324" and looks to be a very "soft" profile to me. I wondered if it might be for a trials engine - it looks similar to the cam discussed in:
http://www.bsaotter.com/like_finding_hens_teeth.html

Pete
Roger Gwynn
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Mystery cam

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I am sure that it has been ground down from a standard cam, I have never seen a std cam like that. All the trials bikes used the std road cam.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Simon.Gardiner

Re: Mystery cam

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Pete
That 'BSAOtter' site (that you've given the link to) is very informative - there's a lot of good info on HTs, I've been onto it several times over the last few years.
There's another reference to that cam in a 1962 Miller HT5 review by Bob Currie (there's now a copy in the online Doc Repository).
A bit of a way down that 'BSAOtter' web page there are several 'notes' about camshafts and followers from David Anderson, Nev Hunter and Dave Owen that are very similar to some Forum posts so it looks like there's a bit of two-way traffic (and I can't quite remember where that Bob Currie article came from... ;) )

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)