Nh350

Singles, twins and fours.
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Re: Nh350

Post by Petebarn »

The continuing nh saga out for a ride today all going well ,until ammeter showed full charge needle right over to the right then nothing when I got back checked it over got intermittent charging now nothing it's got electronic regulator
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Pete
At this point (from what you've said) it could be anything, I think you'll just have to check the whole lot over again - you need to be able to eliminate a few things.
Duff ammeter?
Bad wiring connection?
Dynamo fried? (Shorting out internally and self-destructing)
Regulator fried? (Unlikely in my opinion, I've found they just stop working BUT if there's been a problem somewhere else it could have had a knock-on effect on the regulator).

The only consolation I can offer is that at least a failed charging system doesn't leave you with a dead bike, and the days are still getting longer....
Sorry!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Well I don't know what I've done checked all the wiring no luck still not charging so thought sod it took it for a ride in the Black mountains all of a sudden ammeter went mad then settled down to a steady charge and it is still charging today ??? I hate it when I don't know what the problem was
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by simon.holyfield »

Petebarn wrote: Mon May 16, 2022 3:19 pm Well I don't know what I've done checked all the wiring no luck still not charging so thought sod it took it for a ride in the Black mountains all of a sudden ammeter went mad then settled down to a steady charge and it is still charging today ??? I hate it when I don't know what the problem was
I've seen those ammeters with cracked internal coils. There is a pic in this post:

https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com/ ... meter.html

There's enough length in the coil to resolder them.
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Julian Murphy »

When you are running at 30mph with your headlight on, the ammeter needle should be just central, or a 'nats' over, thereby showing no discharge.
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Thanks all ,I shall borrow an ammeter of a mate and investigate mine
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

Been for two 50mls plus runs everything working fine now thanks for all the advice it was invaluable to me, still on the hunt for a vh once I've sold my t140v, any one know of someone who might want it
Petebarn
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Petebarn »

I was not able to find an ariel rear mudguard at a price I could afford so went with a b31 guard doesn't look too bad same colour and had the patina to match the bike ,new rear sprocket and clutch plates ,it runs really nice now been on several long runs with no issue's,,thank you all for your advice and help it's much appreciated..next job is to sell my t140v and get a vh ,,Pete