'57 NH Rear wheel sprocket

Singles, twins and fours.
david.birkett

'57 NH Rear wheel sprocket

Post by david.birkett »

The sprocket on my recently acquired '57 NH has an off centre centre, so the chain is either bar tight or slapping against the frame. So far I have been unable to find a replacement, and if I do find one I can't work out how to get the sprocket (marked 530-47) off the bearing housing. All advice gratefully received.
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: '57 NH Rear wheel sprocket

Post by Julian Murphy »

David.

The cast sprocket IS also the bearing housing - its one piece.

If it is as bad as you suggest, then I would suspect the DS (drive side) wheel bearings - in the sprocket centre.

These sprockets are difficult to find, but one of our friends on here, recently bought one from India and he reported back that it was a good fit, and was satisfied with it.
Do a search.
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi david have a look on EBAY there is some in Ariel parts new and used i was just looking under used parts and seen some
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

See this thread - the link to the ebay item is in one of the posts .
viewtopic.php?f=11&t=12507

There's only one left (according to the listing) so don't hang about if you want it.....but if you stick it on your watch list for a couple of days they might come back with one of those limit-time discount offers!

(I bought one as well 'cos so far these have been very difficult to get and I don't have access to the means to adapt them to take one of the earlier sprocket rings, which are readily available. Mine looks OK so far as regards the teeth and stud-hole spacing but I've not yet done the ultimate 'fit and run' check.)

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
david.birkett

Post by david.birkett »

Keith Mettam, thanks for the link. I've ordered one from global sales, should be here by early June.
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Good luck with it David.
Regards,
Keith.
david.birkett

Post by david.birkett »

The global sales sprocket arrived and couldn't be fitted because the ring that locates into the register in the hub was about .017" oversize. Went on ok after skimming to fit.The four fixing bolt holes are spot on. The bearing was not an interference fit but it has all gone together ok and works fine - no more problems with chain tension adjustment. The off centre sprocket I took off is a composite fabrication, a cast bearing housing with some sort of alloy sprocket pressed onto it, now in the box of 'black museum' bits.