KH500 Wet-dumping

Singles, twins and fours.
JohnReilly

KH500 Wet-dumping

Post by JohnReilly »

Good day all,
I ordered a supply-line anti wet-dumping valve from Deraganfly, when I received it I was a bit surprised as I was expecting a manually controlled shut off unit. The one received (picture attached) seems to be a "light flow restrictor".
My query is: has anyone experience using the valve illustrated and if so, does it do as intended?
Many thanks
John
Attachments
IMG_6538.jpg
David Smith

Re: KH500 Wet-dumping

Post by David Smith »

John

I use one of the Bri Tie anti wet sumping valves on my KH and BSA B31, they look a bit better made than the one illustrated.

They work faultlessly, but, they must always be sealed to the lines properly as any air leak will stop them working, AND must be primed before use, I pressure fed oil down the inlet pipe with a pressure oil gun on mine.

Dave Smith
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

i use a valve that the will not let the engine start it the valve is not turned on, and when you turn it off the engine stops, i am not keen on the ones that use suction to work
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

Suck it and see if it works!
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnReilly

Post by JohnReilly »

Thank you for the responses, I will give it a go.
J
robjameson
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by robjameson »

Norton Commando 961 models use a similar valve, but they have it on the return to the oil cooler before the oil feeds back to the frame. Works perfectly in that set up, but I’ve never tried one on the feed side.

I have the britie (I think) wet sumping valve on my KH bolted straight in to the crank case. Haven’t finished building the engine yet though…
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser
JohnReilly

Re: KH500 Wet-Sumping

Post by JohnReilly »

I revert to this topic. Been away for 3 months and checked the bike, oil tank empty, contents in the sump.
I'm reluctant to insert any type of restriction into the feed line. Is the right solution a properly functioning oil pump or was it always thus, that wet dumping was a hazard even with the best workmanship and setup.
If I sent my oil pump away to be reconditioned would/could I expect a good result?
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

To a great extent it's always been thus with any gear-type oil pump - why else would there be so many anti-wet-sumping devices about?

Overhauling the oil pump might fix the problem but that might not be guaranteed, although improving the condition of an oil pump has to be a good thing anyway?

Maybe consider one of these if the reluctance to put something in the feed line is the danger of forgetting to switch the feed 'on' when the engine is started
https://www.feked.com/anti-wet-sump-oil ... stems.html
(A friend bought a late KH from a long-time AOMCC member several years ago, it had something similar fitted and it seems to function just fine.)

HTH

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

Gear or trochoid pumps will let oil through unless there's no backlash at all and that's almost impossible. It depends on how the pump stops also that makes it vary. Good pumps leak less of course.. If you can start, idle the bike and it MAY return the oil before there's smoke everywhere. With regular use the problem may not exist but OUR bikes often sit for a while don't they? Nev
robjameson

Post by robjameson »

Well I have now got my KH up and running and 400 miles so far with no concerns.

Dad has the same anti wet sumping device on his KH and has had no problems in around 10,000 miles.

If you aren’t keen on the idea of a restrictive in the feed line, you could always go with the frankly genius idea of Richard Thomason of putting some electrical tape over the breather hole in the oil tank cap, which creates a vacuum and stops the bike from wet sumping.
Rob Jameson
AOMCC Member Number 4068
1957 Ariel VH
1954 Ariel KH
1948 Ariel 4G with 1920's Ariel Sidecar/Triumph Chassis
AOMCC Twin Spares Organiser