cam questions

Singles, twins and fours.
pepcak

cam questions

Post by pepcak »

Hi,

does anybody here knows correct dimensions / profile for A6/664 cam? I have bought one but suspect it is "underground" quite a bit. On top of that both the cams appears not to be the same, is this right?

On the front cam I measure the biggest dimension approx 45mm, on the rear some 43mm. The base circle on front cam is some 35.5mm, on the rear one some 34mm.

When I measure the same dims on my other cam, marked "F" I measure both cams the same and the biggest dimension is 47mm and base circle approx 38.1mm.

Do I assume correctly that on A6/664 both cams should be the same and the dimensions should be about the same as of the "F" cam (except of the wider portion for longer valve opening of course).

Could the A6/664 still be brought back to originals spec (if that exists at all) or is there too much "meat" missing to be welded on?

thanks for any help / guidance provided.

Josef
Simon.Gardiner
Holder of a Golden Anorak
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: cam questions

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Josef

These threads might help:
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... 664#p66703
http://forum.arielownersmcc.com/viewt ... 664#p22372

From these, the base circle is 1.5" and the lobe height is 1.885".
Both cams should be the same dimensions but they might give the same valve lift even if they are slightly different - if there has been some re-grinding it could be OK if the cam still has enough depth of hardness.
I'm no expert but from what I've seen it's easily possible to weld on an extra few mm. of metal to change (or regain) a cam profile!

Hope that helps

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)