Primary chaincase disaster

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
BobWard

Re: Primary chaincase disaster

Post by BobWard »

[img]
F0DC3F64-6559-4F6E-9DA1-EFB687E26752.jpeg
[/img]
Hope the photo shows. Are these sprocket teeth marks ?
1958 Huntmaster
1957 VH 500
1960 FB Cruiser 84
Mick D
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by Mick D »

Hi
I think you should focus your investigation onto the clutch sprocket - I would suggest the bolt from the inner chaincase has dropped out and onto the primary chain where it has been carried back to the clutch sprocket and caused the damage to the lower rear of the chain case - the damage to the front of the chain cases looks like secondary damage caused by this event.
Regards Mick
Dave.Barkshire
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

BobWard wrote:My thoughts are still with gearbox moving forward as you mention travel down hill was this using the rear brake causing the back drag, please check for tightness of the drive chain as this may confirm that the box traveled forward. Bob
Edit :- Having just seen previous post you can check the drive sprocket teeth if a stray part rode over the drive sprocket you Will see the thee damage to one or more teeth where the object wedge in between chain and sprocket. Bob
Thanks Bob, I think you're onto something. I have just been down to the garage for a squint.

The rear chain does feel tight, I was under power coming down the hill without braking until the end, there does look to be a screw missing behind the drive chain-wheel and sifting through the bits of metal there looks to be the remains of a screw although there's no sign of the head as yet. All cog teeth look to be in place but I can see some denting to the primary chain.

So it looks like the screw came loose, got caught in the chain which then pulled the rear chain tight as it passed around the chain-wheel which resulted in the cases being smashed.
chain dent.jpg
stud remnant.jpg
Missing bolt.jpg
Mick D

Post by Mick D »

Hi Dave
If you offer up the parts of the front of the inner case to the bit in situ you'll be able to determine if the force was forwards or backwards, ie which sprocket was involved.

Edited to add: Your first photo suggests the force was rearwards.
Regards Mick
Dave.Barkshire

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

Mick D wrote:Hi Dave
If you offer up the parts of the front of the inner case to the bit in situ you'll be able to determine if the force was forwards or backwards, ie which sprocket was involved.

Edited to add: Your first photo suggests the force was rearwards.
Regards Mick
I think you're right Mick. It seems to have been pulled rearwards.
rein.heerkens

Post by rein.heerkens »

What are the numbers of the inner and outer chain cases? Maybe I can help.
paul.jameson
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by paul.jameson »

To help in getting you back on the road, the inner case is common to all 1936-53 singles, except WD models with the tin cases and 1939/40 250cc models. Any 1936-53 outer case (with the exceptions above) will also fit, although if you use a 1939 onward outer you will need a different clutch dome (of which I have plenty). I would aim to get back on the road then get your 1936-38 outer case repaired in due course.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
Dave.Barkshire

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

rein.heerkens wrote:What are the numbers of the inner and outer chain cases? Maybe I can help.
I have not taken off the inner case yet as I don't have a thin enough spanner to hold the crankshaft nut.

The outer case has a casting number but it's hard to read. I have attached a photo below...
outer primary casting number.jpg
outer primary casting number 2.jpg
Dave.Barkshire

Post by Dave.Barkshire »

paul.jameson wrote:To help in getting you back on the road, the inner case is common to all 1936-53 singles, except WD models with the tin cases and 1939/40 250cc models. Any 1936-53 outer case (with the exceptions above) will also fit, although if you use a 1939 onward outer you will need a different clutch dome (of which I have plenty). I would aim to get back on the road then get your 1936-38 outer case repaired in due course.
Thanks Paul. You're absolutely right, the priority is to get it rolling and spitting flames again. I will be on the lookout for some suitable replacements.

These domed outers as spares dried up years ago. I wonder whether they would be a suitable candidate for re-manufacture?
john.whiting

Post by john.whiting »

As much as I dislike modern mods on old bikes,I think a belt primary drive on an Ariel might be an exception............still ,a primary chain bustup takes my mind off the millenial drivers playing with phones while I'm out riding.