pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Mystery Debris

Post by simon.holyfield »

So, what is this chaps? Looks a bit like bit of a pushrod cup:
IMAG0018.jpg
Found while cleaning out the draining tray, after changing the oil in the W/NG. She seems to be running fine!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
Keith.owen
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Mystery Debris

Post by Keith.owen »

Oh!!!

Keith
Keith Owen
Editor Cheval de Fer
1950 Rigid Ariel VH
1951 Rigid Ariel NH (under construction)
1973 Norton 850 Commando Interstate
simon.holyfield

Has anyone got a handy picture of an Ariel pushrod? I'd like to be sure that is really what it is, before I go pulling the rocker boxes off...
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
Steven.Carter

Post by Steven.Carter »

Looks a bit flat to be anything from a pushrod. To me it looks like the flat bit on the rocker that's pushed down by the valve lifter.
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

If it is part of a pushrod, or the flat bit off the exhaust rocker, how did it get into the sump?

The one item I have found in the sump is pieces of the cylinder skirt, broken off when some piston debris got between the con rod and the cylinder skirt. There were no adverse effects on the engine running due to a rough "slot" in the skirt and it probably did about 10,000 miles after the breakage.

You might find it worthwhile to poke a piece of wire or similar around the bottom of the crankcase via the sump plate hole to see if there are any other bits lurking in there.
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
roger.fellows
Holder of a Silver Anorak
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by roger.fellows »

What's the chance it was 'lodged' somewhere on the bike and fell in? Is it cast? Can't quite see if it's got a broken edge all the way round.
simon.holyfield

Steven.Carter wrote:Looks a bit flat to be anything from a pushrod. To me it looks like the flat bit on the rocker that's pushed down by the valve lifter.
What made me think of the pushrods was that it is cup shaped, about the right size, and it's polished inside...
paul.jameson wrote:If it is part of a pushrod, or the flat bit off the exhaust rocker, how did it get into the sump?
Well, to be honest Paul, it was in the roasting tin I was using under the bike. It could easily have come from the timing chest.
roger.fellows wrote:What's the chance it was 'lodged' somewhere on the bike and fell in? Is it cast? Can't quite see if it's got a broken edge all the way round.
It's got two broken edges and a machined beveled edge; the outside of the cup (the bit you can't see) is not polished, just a dark bare metal.

Having convinced myself, and attempted to convince you all that it was bit of pushrod cup, I can't see that the engine would run for long before the rocker bounced out. I drove it for a couple of miles yesterday and it pulls like a train. Well, a small train maybe, O gauge. Not like my SQ4, but it goes pretty well!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

A piece of push rod end could get into the sump. There's a couple of large enough holes in the timing side case. Check it's not marked by contact with the timing gears as you don't want it to go there at all.. Its hard and could fatigue with age, and a piece chip off. To be sure (repeat if you're Irish) pull the rocker boxes. (Only one if you are lucky) Take crook pushrod out, swap a new one (or fix (replace)the end of yours). There are slightly different lengths due the cam base dia variation. I would still clean out the camcase as you don't want any metal chips left there. That involves a magneto retime unfortunately. Nev
adrie.degraaff

Post by adrie.degraaff »

simon.holyfield wrote:Having convinced myself, and attempted to convince you all that it was bit of pushrod cup,
I agree with you that it's the cup of a follower, the only way it will get in the sump is when a previus owner took the engine apart after damage leaving the crankcase in the frame and this part fell in the crankcase without him notising.
Maybe even shooting away from working it in the vice, we all had that happening.
simon.holyfield

Cup of a follower or cup of a pushrod? Doesn't it look a bit thin to be a follower cup? I'll get some better pictures later.

The timing chest has had a good clean out, and the cam has been out; the teeth are all good. Unfortunately I can't find any pictures of the followers, which is irritating - as you will i have seen i take pictures of everything!

Best I can do - shame I didn't take one before the gasket went on, but there's no obvious damage:
!IMAG6796x.png
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A