Missing bolt!

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Missing bolt!

Post by Mike Nash »

I was just about to time the ignition and sort the carb when I noticed I'd left a crankcase bolt out!
Ariel missing bolt.jpg
The bolt won't go in without the engine being dropped about a quarter of an inch so the clutch and primary chaincase has to come off, the magneto and oil pipes and all the engine bolts removed. I've been working slowly on this bike for about two years and had the engine in the frame for about 9 months - but only today spotted the missing bolt! How could I have been so stupid?
MikeN.
Julian Murphy
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Re: Missing bolt!

Post by Julian Murphy »

err.

Looks like you have left the rear bolt out as well?

Or the stud doesn't protrude through the nut?
daveleek
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by daveleek »

Mike, you should have gone to Specsavers
Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Mike Nash »

Seeing your note Julian, I went out in the dark with a torch in the rain to inspect - and yes the rear bolt's there, I'm pleased to say, but the stud needs shuffling over.
Having got the Thorspark i bought from you running on the bench it was time to fit and time the magneto, fit the carb and tank. But first I needed to check all the nuts and fasteners - and that's when I discovered a missing bolt missing! Corrr!
Re "Specsavers" Dave, I've spent a small fortune on bins at Boots and much good it did me.
Regards to all, MikeN.
Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Mike Nash »

And now I find I've left the breather pipe at the back of the timing chest off! So (a) I've got to find it and (b) take of the the oil pipes and magneto to fit it. I think this all goes to show the dangers of doing work slowly with long gaps in between. A shorter and continuous effort would give stronger oversight of progress.
Hey ho, MikeN.
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

You can fit the breather without stripping off the timing side.

76 2073C-4 Breather pipe elbow with ball bearing – Made in Britain. (Drags). The 1/4BSP end threads into the back of the timing chain case.

If you put the lock nut on the thread, then you can 'lock' it in place vertical. (75 2074-31 Breather pipe elbow union lock nut).

Then feed up from underneath 79 2100-37 Breather pipe, rear of timing case. Lock the sleeve nut.

Bobs your uncle. Done.
Mike Nash
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by Mike Nash »

Well Julian, I can feed a pipe (when I find it) up the back of the timing chest but with the magneto in place I'm blowed if I can see how I'm going to get the nut to screw onto the elbow yet alone how I'll get a spanner on it to tighten it. But fortunately I can poke up a length of half inch bore fuel proof rubber tubing and screw it onto the elbow which at least gives me a working system to get the bike running so I'll live with that for the moment.
Thanks for all your advice folks, MikeN.