Sidecar mudguard fell off

pictures (or stories) of hideous injuries sustained by your ariel
adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Sidecar mudguard fell off

Post by adrian.hannam »

Well, not the worst thing that has ever happened, and not really to the Ariel, but I lost the mudguard off my sidecar attached to the KG. Metal fatigue from vibration. Lucky I was riding last, someone could have been hurt. Looks like I will be learning how to fibreglass. The bracket needs a re-design.
Attachments
axle.JPG
bracket.JPG
guard.JPG
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Sidecar mudguard fell off

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI you need to make it with two fixings like a stay coming off the upright and make fixing that's broken stronger so it got two fixings and it does not fiex around
nevhunter
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Post by nevhunter »

You need another stay from under the axle nut to triangulate it What happened there is pretty common. The guard is unsprung and is getting all of the road shocks. You can attach one directly to the side of the chair as was often done as an alternative method. When you do that your passenger can rest her arm on it comfortably when you are in motion. You just use 3 cylindrical pieces of wood of suitable length as spacers and bore a 5/16 th hole down the middle for a coach bolt and some reinforcing washers on the inside of the sidecar exterior wall.. Nev
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Can't someone else make a further comment. I'm sick of reading that my sidecar mudguard came off and it wasn't ME.. Nev
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

the best thing is do not have a mudguard then it cannot fall OFF :lol: :lol: :lol:
adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by adrian.hannam »

Here's an update for you Nev.

Upgraded the lower bracket to 8mm, pad welded. Moves the mudguard over about 6mm, I think this will still look alright. As suggested, made a simple brace goes between bracket and axle. Chased out all the cracks, splits etc with a flap disk. Fibreglass repair and putty done, sanded back, ready for priming.

It's a bit humid here for painting. I am still a bit confused about paint, haven't done any automotive spraying before, but want to learn.
Reading the forum, I decided on 2K. The paint shop had no problems selling me 2K primer, but all the autoshops tell me I shouldn't be using it, illegal for private use at home apparently. I have read all the data sheets and have the respirator etc, so I am well prepared for 2K. I'm thinking I should return it and buy acrylic or enamel, but not sure what sticks to what, and will be best for the job.
Bracket.JPG
Brace.JPG
Test fit.JPG
Chased out.JPG
adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by adrian.hannam »

rest of pics
Ready for glass.JPG
Now for putty.JPG
Glassed.JPG
Filler done.JPG
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI i would use the 2k paint all paint has got its warnings if you are spraying it just make sure you use a well vented space and wear a good mask and use a small panel repair spray gun so you do not get a lot of mist in the air and do not use to much air pressure and you will be ok :!:
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Guard looks good Adrian Proper Dusting.. I think your brace is a little on the light side , but it will work until it doesn't. It's a bit of a "Boy on a man's Errand" . I'd run a strip there about One and 1/4" X 3/16". They get a hard time. I've seen many break in use. Nev
brenton.roy

Post by brenton.roy »

Hi Adrian,
I've had a sidecar mudguard try to part company as well. There must be a lot of vibration over the wheel.
I reckon the go (unless you have a respirator with an air supply) is to use 2 pack paint outside.
The repair looks good.
'51,'56 Squares, '48 VH, '27 Model C, R67/2, Mk IV Le Mans, '06 Super Duke and Ariel projects.