TW 9537

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
Destall

TW 9537

Post by Destall »

Hi
New to the forum and ashamed to say that I know very little about Ariels and indeed, motorbikes in general! However, my great uncle was a hero of mine growing up and I have recently unearthed some old pictures of him on his bike just before the war and would love to track it down.

Arthur Stanley Estall (1902-1979) was a soldier serving in India before the war and a special constable during the war. The two pictures I have are one of him on the bike and the second is his wife and sister on board which provides slightly more detail.

I would be grateful if someone could give me an indication of the model and date of the bike and how I can begin to trace it?

Thanks for your help
Dave E
Attachments
FAE6F4BF-AC41-46F9-8458-A2562B98B0F1.jpeg
6CDD891D-0AEC-4CC5-A558-6E6473B2E823.jpeg
Andy H

Re: TW 9537

Post by Andy H »

1927 ohv 500cc
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi and welcome to the forum , someone will be a long soon and will tell what you all need know
Destall

Post by Destall »

Thanks Andy and Johnny.
It looks like he had the motorbike for some time? Looking forward to the search.
D
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

There isn't a bike with that reg in the register, however many bikes on the register do not have the reg listed and of course many have been re-registered over the years.
It isn't listed with DVLA
The twin exhaust pipes should make it a model E (super sports) but the front mudguard indicates model D (fast tourer). A model E wouldn't have a carrier either but many were specified with one. The factory built all bikes to order and customers could and would order all sorts of combinations but the bike is certainly several years old at the time of the photos so probably been modified a bit.
TW is an Essex number issued between September 1925 and June 1927, 9537 would towards the end of that period.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi you will now have the club members looking and i would put a ad in-the old bike mart because it goes out to bikers and dealers all round the UK and world and someone may have it, and not put it on the DVLA database i have just got two motorcycles that are not on the DVLA site they have not seen the light of day for 40 years , so you may be lucky , good luck :)
Destall

Post by Destall »

Hi
Thanks for your help. I will take your advice and see what happens. Should be good fun either way.
Krs
Dave E
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

According to the Kithead Trust website there are still some local authority registration records for Essex in the archives. It might be worth giving the Chelmsford Records Office a call to see if they've got anything.
See the details here
https://kitheadtrust.org.uk/england-wales#TW

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
Destall

Post by Destall »

Thanks for the info Simon. Will do.
D
TonyBaxter
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by TonyBaxter »

I love old photos like these. Do you know which town and road the second picture was taken?