Trying to trace owner of a Leader

Who has my old bike ? What was this bike? Pictures of your old bikes etc
alan.moore
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Re: Trying to trace owner of a Leader

Post by alan.moore »

Mike,
Some VIN plates had a / stamped between the last numeral and the B. It is possible that this has been misread as a 1. So the VIn you are looking at could be T32662 / B. Just a thought.

I would also comment that, just because you found a tax disc attached to the screen, that tax disc / registration number may not relate to the frame/frames you have.

Cheers
Alan
1939 VH Redhunter;1942 RN WNG;1951 Triumph 6T Thunderbird;1970 BSA B175 Bantam;1986 Yamaha SRX600 single;1952 VHA engined project
http://cloggymoore.wix.com/triumph-pre-unit-6t
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI mike if the body has no numbers on it how can someone tell if it is the right number plate on the bike and what is to stop getting a logbook and stamping a engine to match the numbers motor vehicles have a vin plate and numbers stamp in the body or the chassis as well :?: :?
Simon.Gardiner

Post by Simon.Gardiner »

Mike:
Any chance you can get them to send you copies of the records?
It would be useful to get the engine number (which should be on the records as well as the VIN) to see what Salford give for that - as we know that the engine and VIN numbers would have been identical when it left the factory.
Possibly also the other engine numbers you've got 'in the pile' could be checked to see if any of them can be tied to a late Leader going to Briggs in Salford in early '65.
(Alan's idea about the / being misread as a 1 is 'on the money', although Paul did say he'd checked by dropping some of the numerals).
Don't give up just yet - finding an original registration record is much further than most of us get!

SG
Web admin (webmaster@arielownersmcc.com)

'55 Huntmaster, '56 VH, ' 51 VH, '62 Arrow, '80 R100RT, '00 Sprint ST (now with a new Arrow project, and just now those 4-stroke Ariel parts can't even make one running bike...)
MikeHurst

Post by MikeHurst »

Hi All,
Thanks for your comments.

Alan - I understand your comment regarding the tax disk but it is the only starting point I have.
the / not being a 1 is another option I will try with Salford records.

Johnny - That's the problem you can't be sure unless you can tie all these things together.

Simon - I will get back to Salford regarding the engine number, but I will leave it until after Xmas as we are so close.
Just for information the engine other numbers I have are :- Engine 1 = T27802 B - Engine 2 = T19468 T -
Engine 3 = T26381 T - Engine 4 = T31494 G.
I have the feeling that I have a right mix of parts ! :roll:

A merry Xmas to all
Rgds Mike
paul.jameson

Post by paul.jameson »

I tried your suggestion Alan and this was the Leader which went to a different dealer. In fact it was a Police Leader, part of a batch of these. I will go through the other engine numbers when I get chance but the -G suffix implies an Arrow SS (= Golden Arrow).
Paul Jameson
35 LG (project), 37 RH500, 52 ex ISDT KHA, 54 KH(A), 75 Healey 1000/4.
Former Machine Registrar & Archivist, General Secretary and Single Spares Organiser (over a 25 year period).
Now Archivist (but not Machine Registrar), Gauges and Clocks Spares Organiser.
MikeHurst

Post by MikeHurst »

Hi All

I have received additional feedback from Salford archives on the registration of the Leader.
They confirm that the records only hold the registration number and the vin number they have already given and that there are no further details on the record.

Looks as if it's the end of the line for this enquiry.

Thanks for your help to date.

Rgds Mike
JohnnyBeckett

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

HI I would just build it and enjoy riding it and have some fun :)
MikeHurst

Post by MikeHurst »

Thanks - that's the plan - Rgds Mike :)
Roger James
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Post by Roger James »

Mike,
Bit of information for you, I have a record that on 25 August 2021 Ariel Leader EBA995C was advertised for sale on ebay by LMT Motorcycles, Unit 21A Hill Farm Estate, Little Addington, Kettering, Northants NN14 4AS . Mostly complete, Black/White, no speedo Classified Ad £1495. Telephone contact number for seller 07950974645. I don't know whether it sold. The attached picture is of the machine advertised. . So is this the real EBA995C and the Leader you have a totally different machine or did you sell your Leader to LMT Motorcycles, Kettering. Jess
Attachments
Ebay 25 8 21 EBA995C.jpg
Roger James

Post by Roger James »

A bit more information for you. Late last year at Newark autojumble I stopped at a stall where a chap from the Doncaster area had a dismantled Leader for sale, Red colour not EBA995C he mentioned another Leader but he only wanted the engine from it and would be selling on the rolling chassis that was subsequently advertised for sale on ebay on 18th December 2021. although the front number plate is partially covered I'm pretty certain it was EBA995C with V5. (Note missing speedo mentioned in the ebay sale by LMT motorcycles, Kettering in August). I have a photo from the ebay sale in December. At the Newark autojumble I jotted down the sellers contact number on a bit of paper, still got it. Ron Tel 07753639563 Hope this helps. Jess
Attachments
Ebay 18 12 21 Doncaster v5 vrm not stated.jpg