1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Anything about Ariels
john.deeth

Re: 1928 Ariel some wood and some tape ..

Post by john.deeth »

Hi Damian,
Where in Oz are you located?
I'm the Australian Ariel Register Archivist located in Brisvegas. Give me a call or send an email. My details are on the front page of "The Horses Mouth".

Cheers,

John
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Hi John,

I am in Ballarat. Joined the Ariel Club about a month ago. Already been of tremendous help with the parts list to. I've been meaning to order up the cd set. How do I go about doing that?
cmfalco
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by cmfalco »

john.deeth wrote: located in Brisvegas.
I had to look that up. How common is that name? Would essentially everyone in Brisbane know it? How about people in other parts of Australia? Even if people know the name, what fraction of people actually use it?
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Mate I was warned about it before I got off the plane! Stay away from that BrisVegas! Gambling sin and dire iniquity! But it was only 50 bucks from Brisbane to the GC so I was right on it! Unlike RotoVegas it does not carry the stench of death or offer up the opportunity to be boiled alive. Turns out the beach is quite nice to. Did not even get stabbed. Bit of a let down.

But they do have a time when everyone shutters the windows and bars the doors.

<<<ThE sChOOlIeS>>>
john.whiting
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by john.whiting »

Your biggest risk here is being run down by a car driver using a phone,not a particularly serious offence,according to the gubmint.....Its usually quite nice here in mid winter......lovely sunny warm days ,not a cloud in the sky......lately seems always cold and wet.It went straight from blazing hot to freezing cold in one week.
adrian.hannam
Holder of a Nylon Anorak
Holder of a Nylon Anorak

Post by adrian.hannam »

...Vegas is used all over. I live near Rockvegas.
Editor "The Horse's Mouth" Australia
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

The Kiwi one is RotoVegas. Qld is a great place. Relatives of mine come from much further up where it all gets a bit more 'odd' though. Cairns.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

Well that was satisfying. Thanks to yet more excellent help front brackets turned up today. Matched my own cad patterns to so that is great so I am on the right track. Next up the rear brackets. Then will start thinking about a bit of jiggery pokery to hold it all together for brazing.
Attachments
progress.jpg
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

The factory records exist for the years 1927 to 1965 except for the first Leaders. They entries are in engine number order and as the frames were used in random order they are all over the place. However there is a frame index for 1928 so they are easy to find. Frame W5628 went to Dundee with model B engine W4505, frame W5828 went to Cambridge with model A engine W4847. The club also has many works drawings but the earliest frame assembly drawing is for 1933.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
Damien Towning

Post by Damien Towning »

That is most interesting!

Does that mean this motorcycle was not a direct import to a dealer in Australia?

i found a list of vehicle registrations for Dundee for the time period 1928-1929. I see some Ariel's in the list to.

https://www.fdca.org.uk/pdf%20files/TSR ... to8000.pdf