'57 Huntmaster - What's next?

Anything about Ariels
roger.attwood

'57 Huntmaster - What's next?

Post by roger.attwood »

I've come to a halt with the rebuild because I'm not sure what to do next. This is where I am at the moment.
P1060063.JPG
I can't refit the back wheel until I countersink the 4 stud holes in the sprocket.
I'm waiting for 2 inlet valve guides, so I can't build up the head etc.
I might start on a bit of the wiring at the headlight/light switch end.
I want to get the drive side together, but I'm not sure on the order of fiting things, ie the forward part of the chain guard, the gearbox sprocket, the inner part of the primary chaincase, the clutch etc. I should have paid more attention when I took it all apart!
Can anyone help me out here, please?
chris.shearwood
Holder of a Silver Anorak

Re: '57 Huntmaster - What's next?

Post by chris.shearwood »

Roger,
If I'm not mistaken the gearbox sprocket is easier to fit with the gearbox out of the frame. An old chain looped around the sprocket and then clamped in a vice holds the sprocket from turning when you tighten up the big nut if I remember correctly.
Regards, Chris
1946 4G and 1951 VH
roger.attwood

Post by roger.attwood »

Yes, I had problems undoing that nut with thegearbox in the frame, but in the end I loopes a chain around it and tied the ends to the frame. The it undid easily with an impact driver. I was planning to do it up the same way, but I think I have to fit the chain guard piece first?
keith.mettam
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

Post by keith.mettam »

Roger,
Just noticed that the centre stand springs are fitted wrongly, or is this something you are aware of ? The large hook goes over the bottom gearbox bolt spacer each side so that is a job you could do next ! Check and make sure the front part of the rear chainguard ( I'm assuming it is a FERC) fits over the gearbox sprocket ok. Can't remember if they do or not, I think they do. If not slip the chaincase on first then fit the sprocket, if it does then fit the sprocket and front chainguard piece then on to the back part of the primary chaincase, clutch chain wheel and primary chain. You may find it more convenient to leave the outer part and clutch assembly until later when you have the rear sprocket, chain and wheel fitted. That way you have access to the engine sprocket assembly for turning the engine when required. Otherwise continue on the primary side by fitting the outer primary chaincase cover and clutch assembly then adjusting the primary chain. Fit the kickstart lever so you can easiiy turn the engine over and perhaps fit the clucth cable and adjust the clutch. You should be able to feed the rear chain through the front part of the FERC and round the sprocket later, although it may be a little fiddly. Hope that helps.
Regards,
Keith.
roger.attwood

Post by roger.attwood »

Thank you Keith, that's what I was after - the order of fitting the bits. During the dismantling I found I couldn't get the front part of the FERC over the gearbox sprocket, but I'll have a fiddle with it again.
Is the inner part of the chaincase sealed against the engine case or the gearbox? I was thinking that the gearbox will move as the primary chain is adjusted for tension, so any final tightening of screws or sealing of the chaincase will have to be done after?
roger.fellows

Post by roger.fellows »

Primary chaincase won't be sealed against the gearbox. Have you thought about using the club discs to discourage oil loss from the aperture?
keith.mettam

Post by keith.mettam »

Roger,
the inner case is sealed against the engine crankcase. I am not sure if there is a gasket or not. There may be one in a complete gasket set but I couldn't see an individual one listed on the Draganfly site. If not then use some sealant. The inner case is clear of the gearbox shell so the gearbox can be adjusted and, of course, the front FERC section is there. You can fit the cases and tighten the screws and check the chain tension through the oil filler plug hole. The cases are held in place against the frame by an extension to the bottom gearbox bolt and this nut and washer is fitted after the outer case is in place.
Roger Fellows has a good point about the oil control discs. They do a great job when fitted to the clutch chain-wheel and now would be the time to fit them. Peter Kemp stocks the kit which is inexpensive.
Regards,
Keith.
Dave.Holloway

Post by Dave.Holloway »

Are there any sketches about for fitting the oil control discs in the chain cases Ariel Huntmaster
Cheers
Julian Murphy

Post by Julian Murphy »

The 4 stud holes in the rear wheel sprocket are not a true countersink.

The shoulder on the nut is slightly radiussed.

Question. Why is the sprocket not already correctly prepared to allow fitting without you having to modify it?