1928 Bolts

Anything about Ariels
tony.barnett
Holder of a Waxed Cotton Anorak

1928 Bolts

Post by tony.barnett »

Something I've not really paid any attention to, but the 1928 parts book talks about `tie bolts' particularly around the crankcases and engine plates. I'd always assume they meant `studs' but they use the term `stud' separately.

So did the 28 use bolts not studs?
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
simon.holyfield
Holder of a Platinum Anorak

Re: 1928 Bolts

Post by simon.holyfield »

The parts lists for all my bikes use the term tie bolt for the engine plate studs. Must be an Ariel thing!
cheers

Simes

'51 Square Four,
'58 Huntmaster,
'42 W/NG,
'30 Model A
https://ariel-square-four.blogspot.com
JohnnyBeckett
Holder of a Golden Anorak

Post by JohnnyBeckett »

hi i would say they are studs because you fit a nut on each end and if it was a bolt it would have a head on one end
Roger Gwynn

Post by Roger Gwynn »

I have always understood that when Ariel said tie bolt they meant a stud with a nut at both ends with a CEI thread, ie ties things together.
Roger Gwynn, Membership Secretary, curator of the Machine Register and the works drawings. Director of Draganfly Motorcycles, Craven Equipment and Supreme Motorcycles mostly retired.
tony.barnett

Post by tony.barnett »

Oddly enough, in the 1928 parts book Ariel describe fork spindles as `link bolts' - when I got my 1928 it did indeed have bolts as fork spindles, which appeared to be original, not a threaded spindle with two nuts.

My assumption was the same as yours Roger, but I'm wondering if that is correct now.
KOBI
Swindon Branch Secretary
Ariels - 1913 TT Model, 20 Roadster, 28 Model D, 30 Model B, 38 VH, 52 VH
Velocette MAC, KSS Mk1
Steve.Smith

Post by Steve.Smith »

In general engineering terms studs screw into a casting or sub-assembly where frequent disassembly may take place. The studs are locked into the casting (or sub-assembly) which is normally a softer material than the stud. This protects the threads in the softer material. A tie bolt ties two or more layers of material together and is therefore much longer than a stud. Tie bolts almost always have the same thread on each end but a stud may have a coarse thread (whitworth for screwing into aluminium) on one end and a finer thread (cycle) for the nut on the other end provide the clamping force. I hope that helps a bit!!
nevhunter

Post by nevhunter »

Both 30 Ariels I've had had bolts in the front fork shackles. I'm making a new set for the current one soon and copying from the originals. Nev